Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsofts latest auto update fails

Sigh, here we go again. It wasn't enough with last weeks screwed up keyboard update which required manual intervention to get it installed. Now this weeks three dotnet fixes keep looping on install.

The fixes seem to install and I get an installation completed screen, but then a couple of minutes later, the new install icon reappears in the tray and the process starts all over again.

Auto updates 05-21-2012.jpg

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\M SIPatchRegFix-X86.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\N DP20SP2-KB2518864-x86.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\N DP20SP2-KB2572073-x86.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\N DP20SP2-KB2633880-x86.exe

Is anyone doing patch testing at Microsoft these days? Sheese.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can one irnor tthe patches or are thet a must

Hedy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post

I've split your list so that it's easier to see which patches we're talking about here.

Now then, something seems to have gone pear-shaped with your system because all of them a fairly old. In fact, KB2518864 dates from 9 June 2011 and was replaced in the May release this year by KB2604092. You can see that in this bulletin

So the system shouldn't be trying to download the old patch again. That's probably why it's failing i.e. because Windows File Protection won't allow it to overwrite a file which is much newer.

It's a similar story for the others.

What I suggest you do here is the go to the Windows Update site and click "Review your update history". Make a note of any installation failures and then go to Start | Run, type %systemroot% and click OK. The OS records a log file for each of the failed installations. Find the ones that match those and see what you can glean from them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Downloade

Thank you. I have checked download history and the KB 25720773 and two others
    have allready been installed today.

How can I stop them comming up again.

Hedy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hedy5 View Post

Hedy
    Sorry, but you seem to be a different user than the OP. Can you provide a few more details about your problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    I've split your list so that it's easier to see which patches we're talking about here.

Now then, something seems to have gone pear-shaped with your system because all of them a fairly old. In fact, KB2518864 dates from 9 June 2011 and was replaced in the May release this year by KB2604092. You can see that in this bulletin

So the system shouldn't be trying to download the old patch again. That's probably why it's failing i.e. because Windows File Protection won't allow it to overwrite a file which is much newer.

It's a similar story for the others.

What I suggest you do here is the go to the Windows Update site and click "Review your update history". Make a note of any installation failures and then go to Start | Run, type %systemroot% and click OK. The OS records a log file for each of the failed installations. Find the ones that match those and see what you can glean from them.
    OK, I looked at Windows Update.

I tried to install these fixes 4 times on Monday because that damm Win Updates available icon keeps reappearing in the tray. Over the course of Monday, I repeated the install attempts three times from inside WinXP SP3 and then once during a shutdown/reboot. The Windows update log shows all attempts were successful, YET the auto update icon in the tray keeps returning. Also, there are NO KB logs in the Windows folder for these fixes, even after the supposed successful reinstall.

And when I do a scan from the Windows Update home page, these 3 fixes come up again (even though they were supposedly reinstalled successfully).

Win Update fixes problem - 05-21-2012.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hedy5 View Post

Hedy
    Well, well, well. Looks like I am not alone! Maybe we have a problem here Houston....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You wrote
    Sorry, but you seem to be a different user than the OP. Can you provide a few more details about your problem?

I used your explanation re down load history. I found all KB again requested to be down loaded DOWNLOADED.
    I have Windows XP with pack 3

Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you both download and run this .NET Framework verification tester please: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...3/8999004.aspx

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an added precaution, run a check on this site to clarify whether your system is infected with the DNSChanger trojan: http://dns-changer.eu/

The FBI has a page which explains how the trojan works: Operation Ghost Click

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Google brought me here as I also have the same issue, since this morning my version of Win XP is now continuously asking me to install these three old updates. I'll keep an eye on this thread, but just wanted to say there's more of us out there with this issue and my PC seems to be clean of any infections (currently running various anti virus, malware and spyware checkers).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running Win XP SP3.
    I also experienced the problem of these old updates showing up in Automatic Updates today (yellow icon in tray):
    • Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2572073)
      Date last published: 10/11/2011
    • Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2633880)
      Date last published: 2/14/2012
    • Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)
      Date last published: 10/11/2011

As I do with most Automatic Windows Updates, I just told them to install without too much scrutiny. They claimed to install successfully. A few minutes later they showed back up in Automatic Updates (yellow icon in tray).

After investigating it I found:
    All three updates were originally successfully installed on my machine shortly after the "Date last published" dates above (i.e. months ago).
    The install attempt of these three items today was successful, but did not appear to alter any files (as it probably should not given that there have been updates to these packages after these, i.e. overwriting newer files should not be done in an update). The last time any Windows Install backups were made was the last time I applied any Automatic Updates (5-8-2012). I verified that the Windows Update log, %windir%\Windowsupdate.log, showed that 5-8-2012 was the last time I had applied any updates.

Clearly there is some issue with respect to these updates for myself and others.

How to not have them stop showing up in Automatic Updates:
    I then went to Microsoft update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/) selected the "Custom" button.
    After the normal wait, these updates, and no others, were automatically selected under "High Priority" updates.
    I then de-selected them and checked each box stating "Don't show this update again".
    [I also took the opportunity to install the current root certificate update (under Software, Optional). Just a personal choice. It should not be required, but I figured I should mention it for completeness.]

I no longer have them showing up in Automatic Updates. Microsoft Update does, however, show a notification that I have hidden some important updates. You can restore them by clicking on "restore them now" in the notification that important ones are hidden, or "Restore hidden updates" in the frame on the left.

I consider this to be a temporary fix. If it is something that is a widespread issue, then it is likely that Microsoft will eventually fix the issue. I vaguely recall something like this happening quite some time ago (on W2K???). It was eventually resolved by Microsoft (IIRC).
    Last edited by keyman; 2012-05-22 at 05:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have check this is the answere All OK

This computer with the IP address 114.198.115.197 and your home network are not infected with the 'DNSChanger-Trojan horse.

FBI site very interesting.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...3/8999004.aspx

I could not find .NET Framework verification on the site.

Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for reminding me to hide 3 KB. Done

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem here today with the exact very same three patches...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast