New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up a Virtual Private Network

I want to set up a VPN to access BBC iPlayer from the US. I'm a bit of a neophyte so it needs to be simple. Also I'm using a laptop with 4MB RAM so it can't be a resource hog. I don't mind paying $5-10 / mo. Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try Expat Shield from AnchorFree. It's free, with an occasional ad, and works well for BBC iPlayer. I've been using it for about 18 months with no real problems (from US to UK).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-05-22 at 14:28.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    I want to set up a VPN to access BBC iPlayer from the US. [...] I don't mind paying $5-10 / mo. Any ideas?
    I hope I'm not being cynical when I say that you ought to be paying the money to the BBC (or the British taxpayer), who fund the programmes which you are attempting to obtain free...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR, I'll take a look. Hi BATcher, I checked Ustream but let me know if there's another URL somewhere. I don't mind paying $5-10 / mo.

Thanks
    Until recently, the BBC didn't allow many of their programmes to be viewed from outside the UK, presumably because of broadcast rights, and the like. But that appears to be changing, almost as I type! See this FAQ.

Each UK household with a TV has to pay the equivalent of about $230 a year for a "colour TV licence", which funds several advertisement-free national BBC TV and radio channels, many local radio stations, and the like.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jack Schofield recently covered VPNs in The Guardian. Some of the advice might apply in the USA.

See here.

Roger

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try Expat Shield from AnchorFree. It's free, with an occasional ad, and works well for BBC iPlayer. I've been using it for about 18 months with no real problems (from US to UK).

Bruce
    I've been living in Ecuador, and tried to get US programming with Expat Shield. I mean no disrespect Bruce, but I found much more than an occasional ad...there were more ads than rice in China. I settled on using Witopia VPN, and have been extremely satisfied. The customer service is outstanding, and the product is great. Just my 2 cents worth.

Joseph40