Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Windows 8 - Fast boot PCs

The latest building Windows 8 blog post - Designing for PCs that boot faster than ever before.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Interesting. I have certainly noted fast boot times on the Consumer Preview running on virtual platforms and am planning to go native onto dedicated hardware in a couple of weeks with the RP.

However, to pick up a theme in the blog post: if the OS will link so tightly into UEFI in the future how then do we change the boot sequence if the OS has become corrupt? If there is no time to hit F2 or F8 etc (or UEFI equivalents), and no option to set special boot parameters (due to the postulated OS corruption), how do we address the issue?

I don't have a solution, only a question.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe! For such a minor function the blog post seems unnecessarily prolix!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fast ?

Good day, J.517

Regarding this fast boot, it has been suggested here to go to msconfig and do a few tricks on that page. I noticed that after a reboot as required, the settings are defaulted back to the MS setup, ie: the check marks are all reset.

In XP-SP3, this does not take place, when I uncheck a line and then reboot, it is not reset. Do you know if this will be the norm when RTM goes on line ? It makes a quantum difference in XP but I do not see any in W-8 as if I do not reboot, it does not set the marks OFF and if I reboot it resets them. I should see if W-7 follows this policy or what ???

Be good. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Good day, J.517

Regarding this fast boot, it has been suggested here to go to msconfig and do a few tricks on that page. I noticed that after a reboot as required, the settings are defaulted back to the MS setup, ie: the check marks are all reset.

In XP-SP3, this does not take place, when I uncheck a line and then reboot, it is not reset. Do you know if this will be the norm when RTM goes on line ? It makes a quantum difference in XP but I do not see any in W-8 as if I do not reboot, it does not set the marks OFF and if I reboot it resets them. I should see if W-7 follows this policy or what ???

Be good. JP.
    I don't know what the default action for re-booting after MSconfig changes will be. I almost never use MSconfig anyway. I use either Autoruns or WhatInStartup.

Joe

Thanks
    Here's a good real world demo of a laptop with a Windows 8 pre release booting up;

Windows 8 boots 'too quickly' to be interrupted, Microsoft adding a new 'boot options' menu