New Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge Field Order in Select - Word 2010

A simple annoying problem that I cannot find a solution to. I am running a Mailmerge using an Access 2010 query as the record source. I want to select a random group of records manually from the list - no problems. However the field list is mixed up in Word and does not match the order in the query.

So the Query will return the records in this order: Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4, Field5, Field6

Word Displays them as Record_Source, Field2, Field6, Field3, Field4, Field1, Field5

I can drag the fields to the order I want but when I next open the merge document it again uses it's own order. Where is it getting this order from and how can I set it to either match the Access Query order or match an order that I create.

All help gratefully appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge Field Order in Select - Word 2010 Solution

The solution is here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Word-1058/2008/12/order-mail-merge-columns-1.htm

All over the web people cannot figure this out - full points to the guy called Aidan who did. I'll let the reader follow the link to figure out what is happening and get the background to the fix.

For Word 2010, you do not have a Toolbar Menu to access. You need to Select File>Options>Customize Ribbon and then you need to select All Commands. Now create a new Ribbon Tab and a New Ribbon Group and add the "Match Fields" item to that group. You then manually match each Word item to "not matched" and tick to save that for all references on this computer (and no made clear only for this document) and then save that and save the document. It will then open next time with the sequence in the order of the query.

Guess someone at some time in Microsoft thought this would be a useful feature rather than the PITA it has become. If MS did some serious work to make mailmerge work properly (rather than making it worse every time they try to make it more intuitive) in the next version then I might consider upgrading. But given that Mailmerge has only been fiddled with, not improved and made less useful since WFW 2.0 I don't see that happening in a hurry.