5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2013 Holidays missing in OL 2010

I saw this problem with OL 2003. MS only provides three years of holidays. I see that the outlook.hol file now goes to 2019, but my calendar shows no holidays past 12/31/12. Can I fix this without having to delete duplicates for the rest of 2012?
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is a bit tedious but here's what I just did. Make a copy of the Outlook.hol file. Edit the file using your favorite text editor. Find the United States holidays. Remove the one's you don't want duplicated. Save the file. Rename the original file. Move the updated file back. Import the new holidays in Outlook.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Howard Hillman (2012-05-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. It took a couple of tries, but it finall worked, sort of. I edited out the holidays for 2009-2012, but Vista wouldn't let me save it to the Office14/1033 folder. It did let me save it in Documents, from where I copied it to 1033 successfully (ain't Windows grand!). When I tried Outlook/Options/Add Holidays I got an error message that said Outlook.hol was not formatted correctly. Rechecked the file and found that there was now a blank line after [United States] 384. I deleted that line and repeated Add Holidays again. This time it did add holidays, but still had an error message that all of my holidays may not be added. I checked 2013 and 2014 and those years are OK, so I'm OK too.
    Final question: Is the item count of 384 in the header used by the program? Since I deleted abot 30 items that count is incorrect. Could that have caused the second error?
    Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's a lot of information about Outlook Holiday's on this page, including corrected files for download: Outlook’s Missing Holidays at Outlook-Tips.net

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It is fairly common for the staff of UK charities to be given as holiday the weekdays between Boxing Day and the New Year (usually three), so I have made a practice of editing the OUTLOOK.HOL file in December every year to remove all bar the UK Public Holidays and add in those extra three days, then import the file for the following year into each user's Outlook calendar. The entries do not have to be sorted alphabetically then by calendar date - I simply sort them by calendar date, manually.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, there's no need to copy the file anywhere where you might not have permission to do so.
    Just save it do the desktop or wherever and double-click it. Select the country you want, then OK and you're set!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rajjan For This Useful Post:

bwc (2012-10-09)

Thanks
    Actually, here's what I think is the easiest way.

1. Choose List view (in Calendar) and sort by Categories and you can then easily select all the holidays and delete them.

2. Then go to Options --> Calendar --> Add holidays... and choose your country. (It will probably be chosen by default.)

3. The dialog will tell you the holidays are already installed and ask if you want to install them again. Say yes.

This avoids the need to do any futzing around with the outlook.hol file (which you'd otherwise need to do if you hadn't deleted all the holidays first and didn't want to end up with duplicate entries for all the older holidays that were already installed into your copy of Outlook).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to st3333ve For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2013-11-10)