Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy and Paste - INCLUDING COLUMN WIDTHS! (97 SR-2)

I would like to know if there is a way to include the formatting of column widths when pasting data from one worksheet to another. The default copy and paste includes the formatting of the individual cells, but not the format of column widths. Is there a way to include this in the form of a custom macro?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy and Paste - INCLUDING COLUMN WIDTHS! (97 SR-2)

If you copy and paste the entire column, the column width should be pasted along with everything else. If you don't copy the entire column, then the column width will not be pasted.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip!! I tried it and of course it does just what you said. I learned something else too. If I select, say, the first five columns of data and paste it into a new worksheet, the column widths update, but the row heights are not included. I then tried the converse. I selected 10 whole rows of data and pasted them into a new worksheet. Lo and behold, the row height updated as well, but not the column widths. Go figure. Too bad it could handle both by default, but at least I am most of the way to my goal.

THANKS AGAIN!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you select the entire sheet using the button in the corner, where the row-selectors and column-selectors meet, both the row heights and column widths will be preserved. However, any contents of the target sheet (the one you paste into) will be clobbered, because you selected the entire sheet for copy.

This is more of a technical note than a practical solution.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

On an equally impractical note, if you select the entire sheet, you can (in XL97) then copy only the formatting (I use the Format Painter button), including row and column sizes, and reproduce the formats on another sheet, without copying the data.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, that seems at least somewhat practical to me, since your data won't be clobbered.