Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fixing table format (Word 97 SR2)

I'm designing a form to be completed on line by not very computer literate users. The form has two sections. The first (protected) contains various text fields for Name, Address etc. The second section is unprotected and contains a 4 column table. One of the columns is used for a fairly long entry of transaction details. I have made this section unprotected so that users can use the spell checker, normal text formatting facilities, and cut and paste - none of these work in protected fields. I want to prevent users from accidentally changing the table structure. I can customise the menu bar to take away the Table item, and prevent the Tab key from adding an extra table row (using a previous post on this site), but how do I prevent users form dragging the column boundaries with the mouse? All suggestions welcome.

George

Thanks

Re: Fixing table format (Word 97 SR2)

I don't know of any way to prevent table formatting changes without protection. But... perhaps you could design a section with a simple one-cell table for the user to type into, on the theory that this would be quite hard to break, and use a REF field to copy that text into your "real" table in a protected section. Maybe give them a button to force the field to update.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you can't stop them changing, but you can change it back once a document is saved or printed?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your help. Looks like I have a lot more thinking to do!

This site is an amazingly useful resource - I think it is fantastic that so many people are willing to share their expertise.