Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to Internet after Windows Updates installed

I recently installed the latest Windows Updates for XP and was asked to reregister my computer. Since then, I have not been able to connect to internet. All my settings seem to be correct. Tried System Restore which didn't make a difference. Tried to reinstall the LAN driver to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please do the following.

1. Click "Start", then "Run". If you haven't got the "Run" command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R instead.
    2. Type: CMD and click OK to open a Command Prompt.
    3. Type: netsh winsock reset and hit Enter. You should get a message that the command completed successfully.
    4. Type: EXIT to close the command prompt.
    5. Reboot the computer.
    6. When it reboots to the desktop, use any browser to try and go on the Internet again.

If you can, download the free version of Malwarebytes from here and run a full system scan: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

After updating Windows XP, there is no requirement to re-register your computer. If you saw that message and clicked something, you may have installed malware.

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not a reply or help in any way, but I didn't see anywhere to start a new thread. This sounds very much like my problem. Perhaps someone here can help me. I'm trying to help my neighbor access a certain website we both use daily. I have had intermittent slow connections, but almost always able to connect. For the last few days she has been getting an error stating a network problem has occurred, "connection timed out" and cannot get connected to the website.
    We both use Win XP Sp3, we both have I E but use Firefox v12.0
    This is what I have tried:
    Type in the address in the address bar instead of using a link, no help
    Clear cache and cookies, reboot, no help.
    Run C/C Cleaner and anti-virus, defrag, reboot, no help.
    Check network status: repair; no help.
    Run from a cmd line: tracert www.xxxxx, all seemed well except line #9, timed out.
    Run from cmd line: netsh winsock reset and reboot, no help.
    Power down modem for 30 sec, powered up, no help.
    She can get in most any website she tries, but not the one she is trying to access.
    She tried her ISP customer service and was put on hold. When I left she was still on hold.
    Now she wants to dump her whole box and start over! I told her to wait, maybe I can get her some help.
    Summery: we both have virtually the same equipment, same OS, same ISP, same modem, same satellite dish, and both are members of the same website. I can get in, she can't. This is not a user name/password issue, as she never gets that far. I thought it was just congestion at the website, but I don't have a problem.
    Any ideas? Thanks

5. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you try following the troubleshooting steps in this Firefox article please: Error loading websites

Let us know how you get on.

6. New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool ...try troubleshooting steps

Thanks for your speedy reply Xircal, I have read the info and found a couple things I can check. I will forward the link to her and check back with her when she gets home.
    BTW, After re-reading my post, I had to laugh when I realized I put www.xxxxx as a tracert! Not hardly an X-rated website; she's 65 and I'm 63! We both go to the same website because we run a small business from there. Just so ya know...

7. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
    Thanks for your speedy reply Xircal, I have read the info and found a couple things I can check. I will forward the link to her and check back with her when she gets home.
    BTW, After re-reading my post, I had to laugh when I realized I put www.xxxxx as a tracert! Not hardly an X-rated website; she's 65 and I'm 63! We both go to the same website because we run a small business from there. Just so ya know...
    Don't worry about it.

But the netsh command I mentioned to the original poster will only help if you cannot access the Internet at all. Malware often overwrites the Windows winsock file in order to take control of a machine so that it can be used in a botnet. A botnet in case you don't recognize the term is a large collection of machines which an attacker called a "herder" controls and which is used in denial of service attacks on websites or even individual machines. It works by configuring each machine in the botnet to constantly ping a site until the server can not longer handle the number of requests which are arriving all at once and crashes thereby denying service to anyone else trying to go to that site.

But I gather your problem is only with one particular site, so that won't help you. If you don't want to post it on an open forum, you can send it to me in a PM if you like and I'll take a look at it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Xircal For This Useful Post:

newdeal (2012-05-24)

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used that "netsh reset" command and everything else I did before reading your post, and didn't think it would actually help anything, but didn't think it would hurt either. I must concur with you that it seems to be at the website, but that doesn't explain why I can connect and she can't, unless it is her computer not configured properly. And if it is in her computer, what is it that is causing the error. I will continue looking and get back if need be. Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what "you can send it to me in a PM" means. Thanks for the offer, but I would think posting in an open forum would produce more possible solutions. But thanks again for your help.

10. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used that "netsh reset" command and everything else I did before reading your post, and didn't think it would actually help anything, but didn't think it would hurt either. I must concur with you that it seems to be at the website, but that doesn't explain why I can connect and she can't, unless it is her computer not configured properly. And if it is in her computer, what is it that is causing the error. I will continue looking and get back if need be. Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what "you can send it to me in a PM" means. Thanks for the offer, but I would think posting in an open forum would produce more possible solutions. But thanks again for your help.
    Sorry. "PM" is an acronym for "Private Message". To send one, click my name (Xircal) and then you'll see the link.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Xircal For This Useful Post:

newdeal (2012-05-24)

12. New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Problem Fixed

Thanks so much for the help.

13. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

14. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the "PM" heads up. Not exactly sure why that would be necessary unless it was because of this statement I made: ".... I had to laugh when I realized I put www.xxxxx as a tracert! Not hardly an X-rated website; she's 65 and I'm 63! We both go to the same website because we run a small business from there. Just so ya know..."
    The reason I used www.xxxxx in my post and not my actual website is because I didn't think it was appropriate to promote my business website, which is not an X-rated site, but may appear to be because I used xxxxx. Is everyone confused now, or was this a non-issue going in? Like I said, thanks for the offer and all your help, and I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by newdeal; 2012-05-24 at 12:56.

15. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the "PM" heads up. Not exactly sure why that would be necessary unless it was because of this statement I made: ".... I had to laugh when I realized I put www.xxxxx as a tracert! Not hardly an X-rated website; she's 65 and I'm 63! We both go to the same website because we run a small business from there. Just so ya know..."
    The reason I used www.xxxxx is because I didn't think it was appropriate to promote my business website, which is not an X-rated site, but may appear to be because I used xxxxx. Is everyone confused now, or was this a non-issue going in? Like I said, thanks for the offer and all your help, and I'll just leave it at that.
    I just deduced that the site you were referring to contained content that you didn't want to make known publically, hence the suggestion of sending it to me privately. It didn't occur to me that it might be sexually orientated or something of that nature.

Anyway, I'm pleased to hear you fixed the problem.

Good luck with your business.
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-05-24 at 13:01. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

16. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually that was Kcary2008.com that fixed his problem, not me. newdeal

17. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually that was Kcary2008.com that fixed his problem, not me. newdeal
    Wupps! Time to pay a visit to the opticians methinks.

So yours is ongoing still then. So what's your operating system and which browser are you (both) using?

18. New Lounger
    Thanks
    All that can be found in my first post. But I will be using the link and info you provided earlier to check things again. I will get back later if I can't find a fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast