New Lounger
    Thanks

Video issue that I can't solve

Hi all,

I have been struggling with stuttering and choppy video and audio out of sync so decided to upgrade the video card in my 8 year old pc (XP SP3). Took out an eVGA GeForce FX5200 (128 MB,AGP) and installed an XFX GeForce 6200 (512 MB,AGP) but video problems remained. Did a clean install of XP with all patches and updates. Have installed video drivers multiple times using both the one that came with the card and the most recent. Have reinstalled the old card and drivers to test. Have updated the BIOS and tried every combination of BIOS settings that might affect video (MB is a MSI K6T Delta LSR).

I have spent hours in web research and tried many suggestions to no avail. One indication of a problem is that the AGP speed setting in the BIOS is set to Auto and is greyed out so there so no opportunity to test 2X, 4X or 8X. Also, Device Manager does not show the Via CPU to AGP controller installed. I used the latest 4in1 MB drivers but no AGP controller is offered or installed during install. I see a viaagp1.inf file in the extract but forcing a new hardware install with the file results in an error message about a section missing in the .inf. I tried to install the AGP controller off of the original MB CD and it appeared to install but never showed up in Device Manager.

The AGP controller was definitely installed before I reinstalled the OS but the AGP speed setting in the BIOS was grayed out then as well. Not having the AGP controller does not appear to be the root of the video problem so I now may have two problems, how to get the AGP controller installed and how to resolve the video problem. I'm a pretty experienced PC guy but I am stumped.

FWIW, video is not bad when playing low res youtube videos but is real bad when trying to watch streaming videos from TV network sites like NBC.COM. Also, the problem is not broadband related as my wife's 5 year old VAIO laptop has no problems with the same videos.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You really need PCI Express a.k.a. PCI-e these days to handle video which is what will be in your wife's laptop.

AGP 8x can handle a maximum 2.1GB of data a second whereas PCI-e increases that threefold to 6.4GB/sec in each direction. You need that additional processing ability to view video smoothly.

Unfortunately, you'll have to change the motherboard, processor and RAM if you want to install one since there's no PCI-e slot on the motherboard you've got in the machine at the moment. Provided you have a retail version of Windows XP, you don't have to purchase a new licence and can install it on the machine with the CD you have already.

If on the other hand you only have an OEM licence, that is to say, the operating system was preinstalled on the PC when you bought it, then changing the above mentioned components will also mean you'll have to purchase a new Windows licence. That will also have to be Windows 7 since XP is no longer available.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not the news I wanted to here. It's a retail version of XP so at least I can use that and keep the existing chassis & HD. Would probably be wise (perhaps necessary) to upgrade the power supply as well.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Not the news I wanted to here. It's a retail version of XP so at least I can use that and keep the existing chassis & HD. Would probably be wise (perhaps necessary) to upgrade the power supply as well.
    Yes, indeed, a new PSU would be advisable. If it's to be a PC as opposed to a laptop, I'd recommend you buy a new HD as well, but install the existing drive in a free bay. Windows will automatically assign it another drive letter so that you can install XP on the new drive. All the data on the old drive will remain in place and you'll see it when you run Windows Explorer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why would he need to change the hard drive? Unless it is an IDE drive and new mobo only has sata his original drive should work with out problems.
    Be better to spend the money on upgrading to win 7 home premium.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,
    Hello... You said that you have the latest drivers\software .. I'm guessing that you are using Nvidia? ... Downloaded from their website ? If this is the case, there are some settings that you need to change in your "Nvidia control Panel".. Let me know and i will try to help with them . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    since XP is no longer available.
    Xircal,
    "XP" is still available if you want XP Pro SP-3... I have only recently installed XP Pro SP-3 (OEM) to test .. you just have to do a search ...there are many sites that sell this.... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-02 at 18:39.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)