New Lounger
    Thanks

Populating specific Excel data to Word document

I have daily notifications that need to be sent out to customers concerning contract expiration dates, amounts owed, customer info, etc. These pieces on info are included in a written document that also contains some generic language as well. I'm looking for a way to have the specific data points populate from the excel files to the word documents so the customer gets a notification that is specific to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kohurley View Post
    I have daily notifications that need to be sent out to customers concerning contract expiration dates, amounts owed, customer info, etc. These pieces on info are included in a written document that also contains some generic language as well. I'm looking for a way to have the specific data points populate from the excel files to the word documents so the customer gets a notification that is specific to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    This is called Mail Merge in Word. Most people think of this for sending out mass mailings, which is one function. However, it can also be used to pick data out of a datafile (in Excel, Access, Word, or text) for a letter, report, invoice, etc. See Mail Merge. The exact steps depend on the version of Word you are using, but basically, you put together a data file with headings for each column (no spaces) representing your field names.

You then, in Word, create the document you want to send out. In Word 2007/2010 you go to the mailings tab and click on the Start button to make your document a letter merge primary merge document. You get recipients by attaching your data file. Then you insert merge fields where you want your variable information.

Once you have all your fields in place, you save your primary merge document and select the customer(s) you want to send to. Perform your merge.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin