New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 12, 100% cpu usage in XP SP3, updated

Hi all

I see Firefox using up 100% CPU in spikes (when opening the app / opening a new tab) but also, and increasingly, for quite a long time.

I have tried in Firefox safe mode (same), rootkits, virus, antimalware, on line virus scans (both in normal and in safe mode) and the results are: 0 intruders... and 100% CPU.

How can I solve this?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try resetting Firefox to default values. See this article: Restore Firefox defaults

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Anybody with W-7 tried the Firefox restore program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Anybody with W-7 tried the Firefox restore program.
    Yes I have only a day ago. I'm new to Firefox and went bananas with the add-ons and plugins and got totally lost (not being a fundi) In order to get out of my shmozzle, I used the restore function and was rewarded with a slimmed down Firefox that works well and a plank,like me can use.(I still prefer IE but I must move with the times)

Thanks
    I am old FF user and I can't imagine what all is in the FF-Folder. Thank you for quick reply.

Edit:
    Ok I did the FF restore this morning and too soon to say much except it appears to have worked, time will tell all. At least 1st step is done. One problem is that now my RoboForm toolbar is not showing up.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2012-06-07 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Well after at least 10 years or as long as I can remember I am in the process of dumping Firefox. After using the new restore program my RoboForm did not show up and I am still getting the slow scroll problems I mentioned a while back. I have never used IE and have now made Opera my default browser. When I made the change with Opera and also changed options in RoboForm I then did a reboot and Robo showed up in Opera as it should have in FF. I am not gonna get into any of the widget stuff that Opera has cause I think the Add-Ons that FF offered was part of my problem. Gonna keep it simple and light as possible.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Well after at least 10 years or as long as I can remember I am in the process of dumping Firefox. After using the new restore program my RoboForm did not show up and I am still getting the slow scroll problems I mentioned a while back. I have never used IE and have now made Opera my default browser. When I made the change with Opera and also changed options in RoboForm I then did a reboot and Robo showed up in Opera as it should have in FF. I am not gonna get into any of the widget stuff that Opera has cause I think the Add-Ons that FF offered was part of my problem. Gonna keep it simple and light as possible.
    The Restore function creates a new Profile, that's all.

To retrieve data from your old profile, follow instructions here: Recovering important data from an old profile

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    The Restore function creates a new Profile, that's all.

To retrieve data from your old profile, follow instructions here: Recovering important data from an old profile
    Well that may be, but I think I have just run the gauntlet with FF. As I said a few weeks ago when I start in morning all is cool I can get on a web page and scroll up an down no problems, then for whatever reason the scrolling gets problematic it doesn't scroll it starts herky-jerky type scrolling. For kicks I donwloaded and installed Opera. When FF does the jerky stuff I just switch over to Opera and all is good. At 1st I thought it was my server/internet connection causing the scroll problems but that was not so.