3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates and patches

Since Microsoft is no longer supporting XP and I think Vista are they still posting patches?

I have auto update on both systems but not sure if they are doing any good.
    With the continuous attack by hackers on these operating systems is there a way of reducing the problems.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Both these OS's are still supported

XP Support cycle

Vista Support Cycle
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Since Microsoft is no longer supporting XP
    With the continuous attack by hackers on these operating systems is there a way of reducing the problems.
    RSpring,
    Hello.. I'm giving my opinion , nothing to do with W.S. Lounge.... I do not use any of "Ms's security" ...Haven't for quite some time now on XP, Vista and 7 ... I use (Pay for) Norton Internet Security 2012 (now) and Malwarebytes PRO..."Just Sayin" this has worked for me, and my OS's. So i never have to be concerned with any of their (MS's) "Security Patches" ( or other ..another story) anymore ...ever .. I know this is not "Main Stream" but it is an option .. "Woopin Helmet" affixed ... let the screaming begin... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the speedy reply.
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Besides updating and patching Microsoft software one should also make sure all your other 3rd party software is updated on a regular basis.

I read where Secunia PSI was a good free program to accomplish that. Any comments on that program and any other programs you might suggest?

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Besides updating and patching Microsoft software one should also make sure all your other 3rd party software is updated on a regular basis.

I read where Secunia PSI was a good free program to accomplish that. Any comments on that program and any other programs you might suggest?

Thanks,
    Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) is a good application, but it updates programs automatically now. That might sound like a good thing, but there may be occasions when you want to continue using the version you're already running and decide for yourself whether you want to update it or not. But for some unknown reason, Secunia has removed the ability to do that from the new version.

Also, PSI needs Java to be installed. The latter is a frequent target for attackers who continue to find vulnerabilities in it almost daily. Uninstall it if you've got it on your system.

I use Avast antivirus in conjunction with Malwarebytes (free version) and Spybot S&D. Spybot is useful to lock access to the Windows Hosts file which attackers often use to redirect users to malware sites. It can also be used to prevent changes to Internet Explorer from within the browser and to lock the start page. I hardly ever use IE, prefering Firefox, but there are occasions when I need to use it such as to access the Windows Update site.

As just mentioned, I use Firefox as my browser in combination with a number of add-ons. These are as follows:

• Adblock Plus (Block ads and filter malware sites)
    • VtZilla (Check sites before visiting for viruses)
    • Better Privacy (Delete Flash Cookies on exit)
    • Dr. Web Link Checker (Show where a link on a site will take you and whether it's infected or not)
    • Flagfox (Show IP address and country of the site you're looking at and more...)
    • Cookie Monster (Allow/block cookies on a site by site basis)

Individual useful utilities.

• CurrPorts (Show outbound connections and identify which applications has ports open and to who)
    • Autoruns (Shows what starts when you boot up)
    • Process Explorer (Explains what all those svchost processes are doing and more...)
    • Mailwasher Free (Read email straight off your ISP's server without the need to download it to your own PC first: good for avoiding SPAM and viruses).
    • Keepass Info (Desktop password manager. Can launch sites and enter password from within the application)

Hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Xircal For This Useful Post:

Bracketman (2012-06-04)

Thanks
    I have also found that Update Checker from FileHippo.com is very good for finding updates. Check in the upper right hand corner of the window.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too prefer using Firefox over IE using several good add-ons such as WOT (Web of Trust) which checks securtiy rating of sites and Morning Coffee which loads all your selected website when you launch.

Thanks for the heads-up on my question.

Sincerely,
    Richard Spring