New Lounger
    Thanks

CAn't boot Win7 laptop from battery after reinstalling OS

I had been having blue screens that seemed related to corrupt files on the OS so I grabbed a Windows 7 Ultimate with SP 1 download from digital river and set off to do an upgrade in place install of my laptop. Knowing that it would take about 20 hours since that is what it took to upgrade from Vista to Ultimate the first time I set off to do the repair. As it was still running I grabbed the laptop and took it on battery power with me to work where about noon today it finished. All seemed to be well until the end of the day when I closed the laptop and took it off the charger for the trip home. When I got home the laptop was powered off. Puzzled I start to boot and get a message that the battery is in need of replacement. Bear in mind that yesterday this battery would run for 2 hours. Today it is dead? I can't boot from the battery and if I pull the power cord the laptop dies. The desktop icon says the battery has 100%, but nothing about being plugged in charging like it did prior to the upgrade in place. I would rather have the blue screen back.

This is an HP DV7-1183cl running windows 7 ultimate with 4gig memory. I have run memory tests and so forth prior to the upgrade. I can't find a battery charging application on the HP website for the system. I'm out of ideas. If it was a clients system I'd do a clean install, but I really don't want to face 30-40 hours of reinstalling all my software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention that I have deleted the battery from device manager, shut down, pulled both battery and AC, held down the power button, rebooted, reinstalled the battery and still have the same problem.

Thanks
    Keep the laptop off, reinsert the battery, ensure that it's contacts are clean and secured, plug in and let sit overnight. Recheck in am, or in 8 hrs.

Thanks
    How old is the battery? It is possible the battery is bad. It might have been getting ready to die, and gave no indication until it did die. I have seen some pretty weird stuff happen with laptops. If all seems right with the laptop plugged in, but will not power on when not plugged in either the battery is bad or the battery charging system is bad.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I of course cleaned the contacts. I have been a tech for too many years to for get that. at this point I powered down overnight and still have the issue. I wish there was a way to roll back to the old installation. I have data back ups but the last full image I have is Vista. I know I know its a case of do as I say not as I do. I tell customer to do a full back up of the good install, but I never seem to find time to do my own. I am sure it is a problem with the OS since it was able to run on the battery for a good part of the upgrade yesterday morning, but once it booted into the finished upgrade in place it won't boot. If I can't find the problem I think I will try to rerun the upgrade over the weekend to see if the charging system will install right. The normal message when I mouse over the battery icon when plugged is should be plugged in charging. It now says 100% and nothing about being plugged in. My battery is old, but before I did the reinstall would power the laptop for over 2 hours. I've never had a battery die that completely that fast. I can't even get it to power up at all with out the cord.

Thanks
    It's a long shot but perhaps the fix here will help:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-c00438109db5

I've never run across it but the "consider replacing your battery" error has hit quite a few Windows 7 laptops. Try a Bing/Google search on this phrase.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

I guess it really is the battery

I dug out an old battery that has a short life and was replaced and lo and behold it worked. I do not understand it, I've never seen a battery go from being able to run a laptop for 2 hours to a doorstop in a few hours. New battery on order and I'll live with the 30 minuted the old one had until I get the new one. Thought I was going crazy. Just coincidental timing for crapping out I guess. Made me sure Windows was messing with my mind. Thanks for the suggestions. I did try everything I knew and the idea that a battery could die this way seemed impossible. Life was so much simplier playing with the old Altair.

Thanks
    Unfortunately the last battery I had to buy I replaced a battery that did just that. Sometimes these things just do not work as expected. Sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy