New Lounger
    Thanks

How to update IncludePicture image?

Need Help!

I am using MS Word 2010 and trying to include a picture using the relative path method. I tried the following.

Insert >> QuickParts >> Field >> Selected "IncludePicture" in the field name >> Specified the URL (physical path of the picture) >> Clicked OK.

The picture got inserted. I gave a border and caption. I save and close the word document.

I go and edit the same picture, which I inserted in the word document. I open the word document and I don't see the changes that I made to the same picture. Can you tell me why?

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Have you checked Word's 'Update automatic links at open' option? See under File|Options|Advanced > General.

PS: There's nothing in your post that suggests anything to do with this thread's topic - Relative Paths - despite your reference to the 'relative path method', so I've moved it to a new thread. Your reference to 'physical path of the picture' shows you're using an absolute path.
    Last edited by macropod; 2012-05-25 at 07:02.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Macropod,

I am sorry to reply in a wrong thread but was help less. BTB, I checked the option that you suggested and the option is checked in my MS Word version.

Any other suggestion please?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does the new image have exactly the same filename and location as the former one? What happens if you do a print preview?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The filename in the URL and in the physical folder is one and the same. I checked in print preview and it's showing as the old one with no changes effective. Can I send you some sample of what I am doing?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can attach a document to a post - simply use the paperclip symbol on the 'go Advanced' tab.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Please see the attachments. I have inserted an image, made some edits
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    you have not attached a document - merely some images.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops! Here is the attachment..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OK, I downloaded both your document and the edited image from your previous post. As soon as I updated the filepath in the INCLUDEPICTURE field to point to where the edited image was on my system, the image in the document updated. I suspect you'll find the filepath in the INCLUDEPICTURE field doesn't point to where the edited image is on your system.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh is it. Let me check in my personal laptop and get back to you? Thanks for your prompt replies and time today!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your sample document shows a picture coming from a path on your system (as expected), but also with the "MERGEFORMATINET" switch. This is typically inserted automatically when the source picture comes from the web (INET:=Internet). I'd eliminate that switch or alter it to the more normal "MERGEFORMAT".

As well, consider adding the \d switch to reduce the size of your document by not storing a copy of the picture within your document: this way it will force Word to always reload the image. Note that Word 2010 includes two new switches not included in their field code descriptions: \x and \y can be included to resize horizontally and vertically.

You can edit the field code by using Alt-F9 to toggle the view between the result and the field code.

If the file is moved, field codes that include a filename with a path can have problems because the path may no longer be valid or accessible. You can avoid this by using a relative path: if your winter image was saved in the same directory as your Word file, { INCLUDEPICTURE "Winter.jpg" \d } would be sufficient; if you had saved it in a folder one level below -- say a folder named "images" -- then you could use { INCLUDEPICTURE "images\\Winter.jpg" \d } (note how \\ needs to be used where a single \ would be used in a path name). You can use Find and Replace to change all occurrences of the root part of a path to make them all relative to your document. The description tends to be a bit obscure, but this Microsoft KB article explains how relative & absolute links work, and how you can modify settings to avoid potential problems.