Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to do Tiered Searches in Windows 7?

Hi all,
    This issue may have been addressed already, but if so, I can't find it. I am trying to do tiered searches in Windows 7, but can't see how I can. I used to be able to limit my search results by specifying my criteria at the outset; entering a search item in the file name using wildcards, AND a word within the file using wildcards, AND a date range, AND a file size. But I appear to be only able to enter one of these items now. Can anyone advise how I can enter all four? Is there some language that I can use (like WIndows Secrets newsletter "system.filename:=”windowssecrets.txt” but with three other nested queries at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ing-in-Windows)?
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Regards

Klinkehoffen

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib, but that's not really what I was looking for.

I want a way to be able to tick or enter the things that I used to tick: ie search in x folder, with "xx.doc" in the file name and "Xxx Xxxxxx" in the text of the document, modified between xx/xx/xxxx and xx/xx/xxxx; and with a file size of less than xMb. It used to be so easy, and I don't see why I need to write it all in code...?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry, that's the best you can get with the native Windows search. There may be other searching apps, but I really don't know them well enough to offer any of them as solution to your problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a good tutorial over at sevenforums.com

I can't link to the relevant section directly, but after loading the page, scroll down to "Advanced Search Techniques".

Here's the link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...igure-use.html

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Xircal, thanks for that. Your post does give me some additional search power, but I still have to write it in kinda-sorta code.
    Has anything been formally reported back to Microsoft about the serious limitation this creates for users? I have been using Windows PCs since 1992 and have a lot of data. This "new-and-improved" search for Windows 7 is a serious limitation and is a real pain in the neck for me.
    Also, does anyone know if Windows 13 is going to get better? Or do I need to get add-on software to be able to search?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think even if you install a third party search tool, you're still going to have to use boolean operators to perform a search. I looked at this one myself once, but don't see a lot of difference between that and the way Windows Search operates.

There's a list of operators here in case it helps: Windows Advanced Search techniques

I think the biggest irritation is that the user cannot perform search in advanced mode to start with and always has to go back to the beginning again. Neither does a search get cached which means you always have to type the whole string all over again every time.

I looked at Classic Shell once, but at the time, it wasn't because of the search engine. Maybe you can have a look there too to see if it's better suited to your needs: Windows Classic Shell Project
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-28 at 05:58.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Xircal,
    Thanks heaps for your help. I have heard that Copernic works quite well; I thought I might give that a try. Will let you know :-)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    There appears to be no way to run a tiered search in Windows 7 & 8 without resorting to code. In other words, there is no user-friendly, 'normal' way to look for your own stuff. Now I have always named my files sensibly. I put dates, years, subjects and customers in file names. I store things in sensible project folders. If I end up with a faulty association with a file, I create shortcuts to where the actual file is stored from the wrong association.

In other words, I am not a data numpty. I think through where, how, when and why I store things. I think about the file names. And I do that so that I can find those things again. The trouble is that after twenty years - 300Gb - of computer files have stacked up, it can get hard to find the very thing I am looking for. If I have created something once in the past, it is easier to springboard off that than to completely recreate it. I work in the management field, and as one wit quipped "I went out for ten years, and came back, but nothing had changed".

The Windows search meant that I was having to recreate things because I couldn't find that "wee job I did for Roger someone in about 1999. Was that a Word document? Or was that an html file?".

I got a couple of search recommendations. I tried Copernic, but that was pretty much rubbish, as was Everything: neither of them gave me a simple way of searching like the earlier Windows OS' did.

Then I heard about FileSearchEX.

Ah - my prayers were answered. It really is a really simple, elegant and economical answer to search, at http://goffconcepts.com/products/fil...hex/index.html. I can run a normal tiered search in just the same way as I used to run a pre-7 Windows search: it is set up to show on my right-mouse pop-up menu, and it is pinned to the taskbar. There is a minimal cost attached to it - USD$30 - but that is truly miniscule compared to the freedom from having the hair-tearing out frustration of being unable to find a file buried in 20 years of data which I know I have, but am unable to narrow my search sufficiently to be able to pinpoint it.

It would also be good if Windows Secrets were able to pass back to Microsoft how much they have limited the usefulness of their search function. The changes haven't improved life for me as their customer: in fact, they made my working life considerably more difficult, and seriously limited my productivity. I postponed upgrading for over a year because of the limited search function, and only eventually rolled over and took it because of the lack of support threatened for XP.

I suggest that anyone needing an actual search in Windows should try it. Pay & download at http://goffconcepts.com/products/fil.../purchase.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Klinkehoffen For This Useful Post:

friscomama (2013-06-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes I wonder why I keep subscribing to Windows Secrets when I do not consider myself any kind of computer geek. I always figure it out. I now have Windows 7 at work, and it is an improvement over the twelve year old pc with the floppy and zip drives, but searching has gone rogue. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will consider this when I upgrade at home, and try to lobby for it at my workplace, although my status is too lowly to actually talk to the IT people.