New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Generic Credential: virtualapp/didlogical

Hi All - sorry if this is an old question, but I did several searches, different wording/phrases, with no results that applied to my question.

I just found a generic credential in my Credential Manager (within the Control Panel). I didn't create it. It was named: "virtualapp/didlogical."

Has anyone ever seen this in your Windows 7 Credential Manager located in the Control Panel? If so, have you researched it and found out what it is? I googled it and there are varying answers. Some say it's safe/normal - that if you have a Windows Live account, it will create (and re-create) this generic credential. Others say it's a "fake Windows Update" credential. It will re-create itself, regardless... I even searched support.microsoft.com to no avail.

I will keep searching on this site as well as archived Newsletters. I'll post the "Woody" solution if I find one. I'm sure these guys have heard of it. I freaked out and deleted the actual entry "virtualapp/didlogical" generic credential before I took this screen shot below - but at least you can see how to locate it. It was listed at the bottom, right beneath "Generic Credentials."

Thanks!
    Kim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have it too.

Honestly, I don't think you should panic and start deleting stuff you don't know what is used for.

Here, someone says it is created by Windows Live Essentials.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you ruirib. I already found the answer you described and the link you posted above, as you can see I mentioned it in my original post. However, there were MANY answers offered (including that one) and none of them (including that one) really agreed with each other nor did they offer a DEFINITIVE answer. They were all very vague. Even the Microsoft Support Engineer didn't know for sure.

Also, just so you know, I don't go into my computer and delete stuff willy-nilly. I have over 15 years of Windows PC OS/software/hardware support experience. Just so you are aware of the level of knowledge the person has, to whom you are replying.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Please understand that what I wrote is a sincere opinion, was not meant to preach, didn't mean to be demeaning to you and it is something I do with my own computers. Windows has grown to a complex beast and there are many things that you really don't know what they are for. A deletion of something you don't know may compromise some relevant part of the OS. That was my only point.