Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove watermark from a PDF document

I recently ordered a new cannon camera online. To familiarize myself with the camera in advance of delivery (next Tuesday), and knowing that the full user manual was only on the included CD (apparently nobody provides printed manuals anymore), I went to the manufacturer's (Canon) web site and down loaded a PDF version of the manual, which I then printed.

When I view the PDF file on my computer, everything looks perfect, but the printed version has the word "COPY" in light grey in the center of every page, "behind" the print. I assume that this is done as a "watermark", but I'm not sure, and I don't know how to remove it. And why wouldn't I be able to see this when viewing the document on my computer?

This is not a major issue (i.e., I'm not going to re-print the document because of it), but I would like to know how to remove it for future reference.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by LesF; 2012-05-25 at 23:30.

Thanks
    Hi Les, I use the free http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/default.asp just follow install info. Installing.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    The free CutePDF does not do watermarks according to the form on the web site.

Les, which PDF reader are you presently using? Readers may or may not be able to change PDF files to eliminate a watermark. This may be the problem you are finding. Most PDF readers can view, copy, save, print and in some cases do simple manipulation such as adding comments, but cannot edit PDF files. I would think removing watermark would be considered an editing operation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I'm using Adobe Reader 9.

Thanks
    It doesn't matter what reader you use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, given that it doesn't matter which reader I use, is Ted's comment that free CutePDF does not do watermarks correct, and if so, what are my other options?

Also, shouldn't I be able to see the watermark (if that's what it is) on my computer screen, regardless of which reader I use?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's just one or two images you want to remove watermarks from, download this free trial application: http://www.pdfwatermarkremover.com/

If you get any distortion when printing, do the following:

1. Right click the program's shortcut on the desktop and then click the "Compatibility" tab.
    2. Checkmark the top option and choose "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista".

If no desktop shortcut was created, find the application's .exe file in Program Files, right click it and choose "Send to desktop/Create shortcut".

Thanks
    CutePDF writes PDF's without watermarks. I use it frequently.
    Look in Programs and features to see how large Adobe Reader is, their are others that do the job as well if not better. i.e. Foxit Reader.
    My pdf reader is http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1436

Thanks
    This should get you started:

How to remove watermark from a PDF document

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

How to remove watermark from a PDF document[/URL]
    Hi CLiNT, I've just re read the first post. It looks to be the printed item thats got the watermark.
    I went to the manufacturer's (Canon) web site and down loaded a PDF version of the manual, which I then printed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It has been said that if you download your camera manual from Canon Europe then it won't come with a watermark: Go to canon-europe.com for all manuals without watermark

Bruce

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-05-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for responding. Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but apparently I'm no longer receiving e-mail notifications of responses on this thread (???).

Bruce, you hit the nail on the head. I went to the European site and was able to download a copy without the watermark There was also a watermarked copy, and the "Getting Started" manual was also watermarked (same as the US version). Interestingly, the watermarked versions had the word "Secured" in their title.

Of course, I won't re-print the manual (246 pages!!!), but it's good to know where to find the unwatermarked manuals for future reference.

Again, thanks for all your responses.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never overlook the ultimate. Download a trial version of Adobe and try everything in the suite for a month, beginning with what your heart desires.

A word of caution: the learning curve for many of us is steep.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best free PDF creator out there is PrimoPDF it allwos stitching of documents and is really fast - oh did I mention it's free?
    www.primopdf.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    Best free PDF creator out there is PrimoPDF it allwos stitching of documents and is really fast - oh did I mention it's free?
    www.primopdf.com
    But can it remove watermarks when printing from "secured" PDF documents? Nothing I have yet seen in their documentation suggests that it or Nitro Pro can do this. Am I missing something here?
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast