New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Need to delete transfer files

I purchased a new cheap computer it had Win7 on it. I also have a WD 1 terra byte external drive to use for backups. I have the transfer files on this drive, but do not know which ones they are. The drive will only let me access the backup files made after operating the new computer. It has an image and a backup, plus 'Other files' and some with a bunch of number and letter which I cannot tell what they are. I have an idea the 'Other files' are the transfer files, but I cannot addess them. So I have a full terra byte drive that will not do backups. I have deleted every file I can with the exception of the Image and the latest backup. It keeps telling me it cannot do a backup because there is no room. I do not know wheather it is a computer problem or a drive problem. I have a 9mm pistol which will remedy the problem, but where it is located I might hit something else. So help would be appreciated.
    Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but it's not altogether clear to me what it is you want to do exactly.

I gather from what you've written that you created a backup on the new PC, but I'm not too sure if this backup was saved to the external drive, or if it was saved it to the HD in the new machine?

If you created the backup of the new PC on the external drive, it will be located in a folder called "WindowsDiskImage". If you want to restore that image on the new PC for whatever reason, you'll need the boot DVD that should have been created when you created the backup and disk image.

To restore the system from that backup, insert that DVD and then reboot, then follow the prompts.

Thanks
    This is one example why I prefer the 3rd party Imaging apps. I find the Win 7 Backup and Restore app too restrictive and basic for my needs. I would just format the Ext HD then use a good 3rd party app (many are discussed in detail in the Security and Backups forum) and create a Boot Disk using the chosen app, then start creating Images to the Ext HD.

Each month I create a new Image so my Images are up to date.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to delete

Sorry I did not explain well enough. The new computer is up and running and has been for months. I put the transfer files on the external drive, now I can't remove them. I cannot acess them from the ext dr , I can see them but can't get to them. Also I'm not sure which ones they as I can't see extentions. So what is my best line of attack? Thank you for your help. The files in question are from the program on win7 to transfer files from the old computer, I am done with them and do not need them any longer. They keep me from using the external drive for backups Bob

Thanks
    If there is nothing else on the external drive you require a quick format will do the trick.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by habmex View Post
    Sorry I did not explain well enough. The new computer is up and running and has been for months. I put the transfer files on the external drive, now I can't remove them. I cannot acess them from the ext dr , I can see them but can't get to them. Also I'm not sure which ones they as I can't see extentions. So what is my best line of attack? Thank you for your help. The files in question are from the program on win7 to transfer files from the old computer, I am done with them and do not need them any longer. They keep me from using the external drive for backups Bob
    You probably have Windows configured to hide file extensions, so do the following.

1. Open Windows Explorer and then click "Tools" and go to "Folder Options"
    2. Click the radio button next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders". You'll see a green dot appear in it.
    3. Further down the list, remove the checkmark from "Hide file extensions for known file types".
    4. Click Apply/OK.

You should now be able to able to see file extensions on both your internal and external drives.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "transfer files" though. Perhaps you could post the name of one as an example of what you mean?

Thanks
    As Browni and I said, just format the Ext HD, then you can use it for whatever you want.

If there is something you wish to save on the drive, temporarily move it to your HD, then format the Ext HD. Once the format is done, move the stuff you wanted to save back to the Ext HD and start using it the way you want to use it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The transfer files I'm referring to are the ones that win7 uses to transfer files from old computer to the new computer. I had them put on the ext HD, now I'm not sure which ones they are and can not remove any thing from the HD but backups. There is not enough room for more than one backup. It is a one terrabyte WD external HD. Thanks for your concern. It looks like the best course of action is going to be to reformat. Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by habmex View Post
    The transfer files I'm referring to are the ones that win7 uses to transfer files from old computer to the new computer. I had them put on the ext HD, now I'm not sure which ones they are and can not remove any thing from the HD but backups. There is not enough room for more than one backup. It is a one terrabyte WD external HD. Thanks for your concern. It looks like the best course of action is going to be to reformat. Bob
    Try the following.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type: disk cleanup.
    2. Click the link to it and then check for a button called "Clean System Files" at the bottom.

If there's one there, click that to delete old asystem files.

Thanks
    If you are talking about the Windows Easy Transfer file, it should be named Easytransfer.MIG. I had no trouble deleting it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    As Browni and I said, just format the Ext HD, then you can use it for whatever you want.
    Sorry Ted,

I missed the part in your post where you suggested formatting the drive.

Thanks
    No problem. I wonder if the OP did this or not. I have to believe this would empty the entire ext HD and solve the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey guys thanks for the help. It now works. Although I can not tell you what worked. My son came and I let him read your solutions and then he fixed it. so much for 72 year old brains with damage. I really appreciate those who took the time to help with solutions.
    Thanks Bob