Lounger
    Thanks

Skydrive and Windows Explorer

Hi I'd appreciate some clarification on the new Windows Explorer add on. I've had Skydrive for a while but not used it much & was recently prompted to return & get my free 25Gb upgrade. I then read about the Windows Explorer add on but find myself confused by it's description. My current set up has eight top level folders and a few sub level ones but the Windows Explorer option refers to it creating a Skydrive folder on my PC which syncs to Skydrive. Does that mean that everything I want to upload is duplicated on my PC? and can I see the sub folders on the Skydrive?

TIA for any help

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it's a synchronized folder:

"These desktop clients allow users to synchronize their entire SkyDrive storage to their computers for offline access and synchronization of files and folders between multiple computers. (The SkyDrive for Windows desktop client also allow users to "fetch" their contents of their PCs via the web browser, provided the user enabled this option.)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydriv...t_applications

"Everything you put in this folder is automatically kept in sync between your computers (PC or Mac) and SkyDrive.com, so you can get to your latest files from virtually anywhere. Whenever you add, change, or delete files in one location, all the other locations will be updated. (If you forgot to put something in your SkyDrive folder, you can still get back to your PC to access all its files and folders from SkyDrive.com.)"
    SkyDrive for Windows

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-05-28 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Hi Peter,
    I used to use this method of file sharing File sharing.pdf which meant I had to leave my Desktop pc ON 24/7 or I could not use it.
    Now I have the Skydrive app on both my computers with the Skydrive folders on partition D: I no longer have to leave any of my computers 'ON' 24/7.
    Now I just have to reinstall the Skydrive app and tell it where my folder is located if anything goes wrong with C: drive without having to re download all my files.
    Bruce has already explained it's features.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you do want to keep your files in a folder structure different to the one Skydrive forces you to have now, yes, you will have duplicates of the stuff you are sharing - one copy in an original folder and one copy somewhere under the new Skydrive folder. Otherwise you just need to keep one copy, but you are forced to keeping under the Skydrive folder.

IMO, this is the major drawback of the Skydrive app. I prefer Windows Live Mesh that shares whatever you want to share within your own folder structure, anywhere on the drive where you think it's best. I am not going to use SkyDrive while Live Mesh keeps working.

As an upside, you now have up to 25 GB of online space to save files and documents that you'd rather have more than a copy in a safe place.

Hopefully, next version of Skydrive will improve on these initial negatives, but I am not holding my breath.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I started to try out Skydrive for backing up my photo's - 25Gb is enough (so far!). I have my photos organised how I want them but as photos don't change I guess I can cope with just the basic upload although I've yet to find out how to download them. I'm also having a look at "Mozy" which has been recommended - 2Gb free.

Peter