New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting TMP and CAB files

On my computer my C drive or (OS drive) it says of 283 GB I only have 20.3 free. I was trying to clean up so I ran my cleaner and moved my movies over to a portable hard drive and deleted unneeded application however I cant seem to get any free space. I did notice that I have a few GB of TMP and CAB files and I was wondering if I could delete some of them as some are from 2006. Also is you have any other ideas for clearing some room I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-13 at 07:53.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scurtis062999 View Post
    I have a few GB of TMP and CAB files and I was wondering if I could delete some of them as some are from 2006. Also is you have any other ideas for clearing some room I would appreciate it.
    scurtis,
    Hello..and welcome to the Lounge..After moving your movies and running a "Cleaner" there should be the same size reduction visable on your Hard Drive C: Some thoughts...

1. Make sure that your "Cleaner" is set to remove Temporary files.... usually found in.... Users>PC NAME>AppData>Local>Temp.. You can manually delete these

2.Make sure that the "Recycle bin" is "Emptied" or your C: drive will still reflect the same number.

3.Make sure that you didn't "Copy" the Movies

4. As far as "CAB" files I wouldn't delete these, unless i knew what CAB file \Program it was associated with see This

Also what "Cleaner" are you using ? Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-13 at 07:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    There are several disk space analyzers that will show the files taking up the most space. You can find a good list of Freeware analyzers here:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...election_Guide

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred
    These TMP and CAB files are in my download folder under my user name. I have emptied my recycle bin and name of my clean CCleaner.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Temp files can be deleted. Wikipedia has a fairly simple explanation of cab files. MS TechNet also has an explanation. If you are not anticipating re-installing apps associated with the cab files they should be able to be removed as well. Some of these cab files may be part of the Windows installation system. When my installation was working correctly I did remove them as well to reclaim space.

There are many times that various error logs and installation logs, etc. seem to get rather large. I would also set CCleaner to clean the various log files.

Another rather large file is the hiberfil.sys file. If you have Hibernation enabled you will have this file. I always disable Hibernation (I use Sleep instead). MyDigitalLife has a nice tutorial on disabling Hibernation and getting rid of hiberfil.sys.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scurtis062999 View Post
    Fred
    These TMP and CAB files are in my download folder under my user name. I have emptied my recycle bin and name of my clean CCleaner.
    Thanks
    scurtis,
    Hello... Just to be on the safe side ..."Move" or "Copy" your download folder to your external ...If all is well after a few days, go ahead and delete them CCleaner will take care or the other "Temp" files...As Ted has Recommended check if you have "Hibernate" enabled...You can disable this and save a few GB of space...Also check and see if your "Restore Points" ( System Restore) are not taking up too much space. You could as many hear have done .. and look into doing Full OS Images with one of the few Free programs available instead of using "System Restore" (much better choice) ...Keep the Images off on your external. Post back if you need more "Info"on Imaging. Regards Fred

PS: What about your Movies? ...Copy or Move?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)