4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Something peculiar happens here.....

I've been delving into reports of a new piece of malware called "Flamer" which was found to be targeting Middle Eastern countries, Iran and Israel among them. After reading the Kapersky report on the subject, I decided to click the link at the foot of the page which takes you to the Iran CCERT site, some of which is in Arabic as might be expected.

Clicking the beginning of a sentence and then hitting Shift+right arrow causes the cursor to try and move in the opposite direction. I thought that might be because Arabic reads from right to left, so I tried clicking the end of the syntax in the centre, then did the Shift+right arrow conbination again expecting the highlight to go backwards as well, but it doesn't. These sentences work the normal way and you'll have to use the left arrow key to highlight them if you click at the end.

Yet the opening statement works in the same odd way as the file names at the foot of the page i.e. click the beginning of the sentence (nothing appears on the page) and then, Shift + left arrow to highlight the syntax forwards of that point.

Weird that, don't you think?
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-05-30 at 09:53.

Thanks
    It might help if you post a screenshot with the links/text areas in question highlighted, also which browser are you using?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The links are already present in the opening post.

But this is only a topic for discussion and in that respect, I'm not looking for help.

Thanks
    I was already aware of the linked pages and more related to the topic. The Iran CCert page you linked to has html 'errors' anyway, other renditions of it show the page contents rather differently.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I was already aware of the linked pages and more related to the topic. The Iran CCert page you linked to has html 'errors' anyway, other renditions of it show the page contents rather differently.
    But do you get the same effect with Shift+right/left arrow as I do?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I get the same as you Xircal, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. The markup on the site makes use of explicit right-to-left unicode-bidi (presumably for Arabic text).

For example the referenced files appear in the source as:

<div style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; unicode-bidi: embed; DIRECTION: rtl" dir="rtl" align="right"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" dir="ltr">Windows\System32\ccalc32.sys</span></div>
    A brief summary of unicode-bidi can be found here.

Whether the content of the Iran CCert site is accurate or otherwise: well, I will leave that to the individual reader to make up their own minds. Other references to this story can be found on the BBC Technology, The Register, Wired and Computer World. Interestingly there is a hint of some kind of embargo on the news in a blog entry from Graham Cluley at Sophos.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-05-29 at 17:26. Reason: ...spelling
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Notice that the Google Translate page gives 2 more files listed: http://translate.google.com/translat...e%26sid%3D1892 (I haven't refreshed it to check, it's still loaded in my browser session from yesterday).

Other IR links also show the 2 'extra' files: http://www.agri-jahad.ir/portal/Home...3-a522dcb2114b

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    I get the same as you Xircal, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. The markup on the site makes use of explicit right-to-left unicode-bidi (presumably for Arabic text).
    I'm not bothered about it. I just found it rather amusing. But as you say, it would probably be coded in right to left format since it's an Iranian site.