2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I access safe mode without pressing an F key?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I have a peculiar problem. Having bought a used HPCompaq 6910p netbook for my husband, it has a virus that is preventing access to the internet. I need to recover it to factory settings (I know this works as I have done it with another laptop) but pressing F11 does nothing and WXP still loads. I know that the netbook has been "tweaked" so something must have been done to disable the F keys. Is there a command that will allow me access? Thanks.

Thanks
    If the recovery partition is intact you can order a recovery disk from HP which may allow you to boot your computer and access a factory restore.
    Can you create a bootable recovery disk for this purpose?

HP Notebook PCs - Recover Windows XP Operating System Using XP Operating System Discs (2001 to 2005)
    HP Compaq 6910p Notebook PC

HP Notebook PCs - Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-29 at 08:17.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviesinc View Post
    (I know this works as I have done it with another laptop) but pressing F11 does nothing and WXP still loads. there a command that will allow me access?
    sylviesinc,
    Hello... On XP you need ( on my HP XP Pro OS) Tap repeatedly on the "F-8" (your PC may be different) at boot time as soon, and as quickly as the PC starts to post to enter "Safe Mode" Keep "tapping" until you get to the Safe Mode screen... Then select from the menu. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)