New Lounger
    Toronto, Canada

disable custom menus (word 2000)

Is there a way to disable the option to customize menus? Someone using our computer lab is deliberately deleting the menus in Word, and it's a pain in the butt to restore them. This person isn't just hiding them, he/she's deleting them entirely. Our boss has to log in as the administrator and go to two different places to get Word to work again. If we can go to the Visual Basic, maybe, and just take out that option? I've played around a bit with the problem, but I haven't been able to completely delete the menus, just hide them or take out parts of them.
    Any help you can give is appreciated!

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: disable custom menus (word 2000)

Not really, given that Alt-- will pull anything off the menubar. You could make read-only. Not a good idea usually but in a computer lab it might be OK.

You could replace all of the menus with your own custom menus and toolbars that are the same as Word's and put those in a global template which is read-only (and in a folder with restricted access).

You could have a login script which mimics what your network administrator is doing now that refreshes word each time a user logs in.

The menus may still be there but disabled and invisible. My <A target="_blank" HREF=> Web Toolbar Handler Add-In Template</A> does this with the web toolbar. You may want to take a look at the code and see if that is what is happening.

Also, be on the lookout for people putting global templates in the Word Start menu. They could be used to alter the menu structure very quickly.

You might want to look into Ghost or something similar to refresh entire partitions at once as a part of an overnight resetting of your computers.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin