New Lounger
    Thanks

rename list styles in Word 2010? or create new list style?

Is it possible to rename the list styles in the Word 2010? It doesn't seem to want to let me. For example, when I modify List Bullet and change the name to bullet1, after I click OK Word saves it as "List Bullet,bullet1".

Alternatively, could I create a new list style called bullet1? I don't find a UI for doing that.

I'm trying to make a Word template that matches my FrameMaker template. I could revise the FrameMaker template if Word won't cooperate but it would be more convenient to do it the other way around.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As you saw, Word adds the new name to the old one as an alias. You can then use the alias in place of the style name. In W2007/10 you can choose to Hide built-in name when alternate name exists (in Style pane Options).

You can create a style based on another by placing the cursor in the style with the settings you want before you click the New Style button (at the bottom of the styles pane).

If you create a style from scratch, you can add the buttons from the Create new style from formatting dialog by clicking Format > Numbering > Bullets tab.

Pam

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Robert Lauriston (2012-05-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, what was confusing me was that the numbering properties for the default list styles appear to be blank when I looked at them with the Modify dialog, so I thought there were some hidden properties I couldn't set.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The numbering is there in all of them (well, the List, List Bullet, and list Number series). Each of the styles is linked to level 1 of a different multilevel list.

Here's the List Bullet's modify style info on my computer (it may be different from yours). The numbering info is bold.

Indent:
    Before: 0"
    Hanging: 0.25", Left-to-right, Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style
    Tab stops: 0.25", List tab, Bulleted + Level: 1 + Aligned at: 0" + Tab after: 0.25" + Indent at: 0.25", Style: Quick Style, Priority: 15
    Based on: Normal

List paragraph, though, is not linked to a multilevel list number level, and no number settings show up there.

Pam