5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Counting # of occurences of a symbol

I have a worksheet that deals with 84 unique stock symbols. I have columns of data about each symbol, and other columns of tests as to whether a symbol passes a certain criteria ("if" statements that say "Yes'" or leave blank.)
    I'm trying to figure out how best to score each of the 84 symbols.

There are 11 different columns with test results. The number of "Yeses" in a column vary from a low of 22 to a high of 61 passing in another column.

Can anyone help me devise a way to score each of the 84 stock symbols?
    What I'm looking for is a way to say: stock A scored 9 of 11; stock B scored 6 etc,

Thanks for any help provided,
    Dick

Thanks
    Could you attach a sample workbook and elaborate exactly what (for example 9 of 11) is being calculated, since it seems to involve 2 calculations (one for the 9, one for the 11)Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve:
    Thanks for the reply. I can't attach a sample workbook because the spreadsheet contains XLA's from a Yahoo investing board that one would have to join, download the XLA's, and install them, before my workbook would even work for you.
    Maybe this will clarify what I'm trying to do:
    Col.A contains 84 stock symbols. Among many columns of retreiving different data about each of these symbols, there are 11 columns interspersed with tests. One such test might be an "if" statement testing to see if the stock has a Yield greater than a certain value. If so there would be a "Yes" in that column. There are 11 such tests, and lets say the row of the first stock symbol might wind up with 7 "Yeses". The second stock might only pass 2 tests; the 3rd might pass 9, etc.

I am trying to sum up the "Yeses" for each of the 84 stock symbols in col. A

I hope that clarifies my request.

Thanks,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve:
    You can tell I'm an Excel novice. I finally figured out that I could use a "countif" function to tally what I want to.
    Thanks for trying to help me,
    Dick

Thanks
    I am glad you got it figured out and also appreciate you posting that it is solved.

A comment however for the future. Even if your workbook uses and add-in, for a sample workbook, you don't have to attach that, you just have to put representative VALUES (they don't have to be calculations to other books or derived from the add-in) so that we can work on formulas based on those cell-values. Once the sample formulas are created you can use those with your workbook.

Steve

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-05-30)