Thread: Upgrading RAM

Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading RAM

It's time to add some RAM to my old Gateway G266. Any suggestions on good vendors? How about Crucial.com?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading RAM

Crucial are as good as they come, but do make sure your machine will use standard, as disinct from proprietary, RAM.

Lounger
    Thanks

How is that determined (standard vs. proprietary)? I wouldn't expect Gateway to tell me it's safe to go elsewhere.

ileacy

When you go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crucial.com>http://www.crucial.com</A> it will lead you through a dialog to find exactly the correct memory for your system.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Some brands of computer (one type were Compaqs I seem to remember) would only work with the Compaq memory modules, which were considerably more expensive than the non-proprietary type. I haven't heard of this restriction for some time, but you did say an old Gateway and it's as well to be aware of a potential pitfall. Crucial may well have this tabbed.

Rgds

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you have not bought or ordered any RAM yet also try www.buymemory.com. They tend to be as cheap as crucial. Both sites have step through processes to make sure you get the correct RAM.