Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks

Windows 8 Release Preview available

You can learn about Windows 8 and download the Release Preview from Windows 8 release preview- click "Get it now".

Note: at the Windows 8 download page the "Download Windows 8 Release Preview" button actually downloads an upgrade assistant. If you want an ISO click Windows 8 ISO instead.

Joe

Thanks
    Be sure to copy down the key: TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF It is important to get this entered correctly during your install
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Servers being hammered downloading: 430MB done, another 2.9GB to go......ZZzz

Time for a wee nip me thinks, then I'll burn it to DVD in the morning.

/an after thought: Interesting that there was only one version (in either 32 or 64bits) - one presumes this is going to be the full package again, rather than options for Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. Pity, I would have liked to have seen both.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Yes, this happens every time... everyone chomping @ the bit soon as betas get released & the poor MS servers end up stressed to the max. If, you wait a little while to grab the ISO the DL time will be shorter.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Reminder:
    Install only via clean, "Custom" install! DO NOT try any kind of 'upgrade' path.

DO NOT overwrite any current, non-beta OS

Install the RP as a virtual machine, on a spare computer or as a dual-boot.

DO NOT install it as your one & only OS on your one & only computer.

Win8 RP is a BETA OS. It is for test or investigative purposes only. It will expire in a very few months.

Cheers,
    Drew

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Yes, this happens every time... everyone chomping @ the bit soon as betas get released & the poor MS servers end up stressed to the max. If, you wait a little while to grab the ISO the DL time will be shorter.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Trouble is, it's 22:18 BST so if I wait a little while it will be the small hours of the morning. No I'd rather relax with a shot of The Macallan, let it finish the download overnight and burn it to DVD in the morning.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Yes, patience is a virtue

Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's almost 7:00 PM EST and only 6 minutes to finish DL of ISO

Thanks
    Couple minutes & mine's done. Had to wait 'til the Win8 Build Team E-mailed me to go get mine from Connect. That always happens a short time after the DL site comes up for the general public.

Guess, I know what I'm doing this evening

Cheers,
    Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is 7:50 EST and installation took about 23 minutes (to the Personalize window). I reply to you from Windows 8 RP!

Thanks
    I must have hit it at just the right time. My download took perhaps 10 minutes, tops. Already running, apps installed, mostly customized. The world is good.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Yep, yep, yep

Thanks
    All you people must have Broadband Internet Services, not DSL. Over my slow DSL, the ISO would have taken over 18 hours to download, and the connection to MS Servers is not stable enough for that long a connection. Whereas, using the Upgrade Assistant:

(1) I got MS assessment of three issues which might arise with the RP, one of which I could actually do something about (lack of DVD Playback third-party software).

(2) the Upgrade Assistant has a terrific download manager, which can be paused (and the computer can be rebooted) and it will resume just as it was when the Assistant was shut down. I could have broken up the download into as many sessions as I desired.

(3) the Assistant downloads an installer which is half the size of the ISO. When the download finished (after 9 hours -- I told you my DSL is slow!) I simply told the installer that I wanted to "install later" and it gave me two options -- create a USB installer, or create the ISO for the install DVD. I chose the latter and used Windows 8's own DVD burner to burn and verify the ISO to DVD burn. All went perfectly well.

So, as with the DP to CP upgrade, the Assistant has several advantages and should be considered. For those with very fast Internet connections, this choice is optional. But for those with slower DSL services, there really is no better option than the Assistant.

About Versions and Editions -- the DVD includes all the editions of the RP. You choose which one you want to play with and it will be installed. I'll choose Pro, but Consumer, RT, and maybe other editions are all there. I don't know why they included the RT edition, as no one in their right mind would try to install RT on a working tablet device, would they?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-06-03 at 00:35.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Bob,

The Win 7 and Win 8 native burners work very well to burn the ISO file to DVD. I did the same as you, I was using Win 8 CP to download the ISO file, checked the Sha 1 Hash and burned the ISO file to a DVD (right click the ISO file and choose Burn Disk Image) worked great.

I then booted into Win 7 and using Partition Wizard (I could also have used the native Win 7 Disk Manager) to delete the Win 8 CP partition, leaving unallocated space in that partition. I then used EasyBCD to eliminate the Win 8 CP entry in the MBR. This allowed me to boot into Win 7 if something bad happened.

I then booted to the Win 8 RP DVD I had burned a few minutes before, chose Custom Install, pointed to the unallocated space and chose Install Now. Everything else was automatic.

So far I have created 2 Images. The first was Win 7/Win 8 RP combined Image. After making several more changes to Win 8 RP I created another Image of just Win 8 RP. I assume I will be making more changes, and as I do I will create more Images. (I eliminated all but the latest Images I had made when I was using Win 8 CP as these Images effectively became obsolete when I installed Win 8 RP)

I realize all you guys know all this, but thought I would expand about the method I used so others might read this and have an idea what to do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello. I got the 32 bit version for my P4 ASUS but the install says that that CPU is not good enough. It ran W-8 CP ! Is there a reason why I can not play with RP on this P4 ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast