Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Xircal, all the setting on Urge's PC are valid. His problem is they prevent him changing the things he needs to change to make the PC work in a non-corporate environment.

cheers, Paul
    What makes you think all his settings are valid?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The error message indicates IE has found the file but cannot open it. The most likely cause is the original environment used a special configuration which must be removed.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The error message indicates IE has found the file but cannot open it. The most likely cause is the original environment used a special configuration which must be removed.

cheers, Paul
    Maybe, maybe not. But what you've suggested so far doesn't appear to be working, so alternative routes should be explored. That's my opinion anyway.

Urge: try the suggestion here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1204249AAGO0WQ
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-03 at 11:33. Reason: added info

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the MS fixit but it did nothing. I am unable to access IE Properties to reset IE to default.
    This article may also help: Internet Explorer security zones registry entries for advanced users. I found nothing applicable.

Urge: try the suggestion here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1204249AAGO0WQ

You can do this no sweat but you must be a local administrator of that computer or have local admin priveledges. Instead of entering the domain logon credentials enter the local ones. If you aren't a local administrator and there is no way to get the old password your only option would be to use an offline password editor /reset tool and reset the local admin password, reboot then remove it from the domain using the credentials you just reset. I promise this works, done it many times with systems puirchased from Ebay that were domain members.

I used a password editor to remove the existing password and then set up a new admin acct. When I first started working on this computer. System properties-Computer Name shows that I am in a workgroup.

Urge

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Xircal, the machine is already removed from the domain - see the first post.

Urge, did you try the suggestion in post 13?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Urge, have you considered downloading windows updates with Firefox? They're available as .ISO images. For example:

Each .ISO image contains the respective month's complete security releases for all OS, so what you need to do is to extract each with WinRAR, discard the ones you don't need i.e. those for Vista, Windows 7 etc., and then install the others.

At least it will bring your system up to date while you try to resolve the other issue with IE.
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-04 at 02:56. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked at the link in post 13 but gpedit shows most options "not configured". I went thru all the categories but didn't see anything that would cause my issues. I read up on and downloaded IEAK 7 but it seems to me that anything it did would show up in gpedit.msc and since that appeared to be largely not configured I thought it would be a waste of time (am I wrong)? Xircal-that's good to know, I've used MS download or downloaded updates from another computer so I knew I could get the patches I needed but this is another way-thanks.

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    With gpedit.msc did you look at both the Computer Configuration and the User Configuration?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 wrote...
    With gpedit.msc did you look at both the Computer Configuration and the User Configuration?
    I looked at everything.

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does the Computer Configuration section look like the attached?

Capture.PNG

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    gpedit.jpg

With minor variations it looks almost the same.

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the PC going through any proxy or firewall which requires a logon?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 wrote...
    Is the PC going through any proxy or firewall which requires a logon?
    No, a Verizon Fios router. What would that have to do with the internet options being blocked?

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Because in your first post the "403 forbidden" error is usually bad permissions either from not being logged in to a site that requires a login or bad security settings.

Under the IE settings with gpedit.msc did you try changing any of the restrictions to disabled?

Capture.PNG

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 wrote...
    Under the IE settings with gpedit.msc did you try changing any of the restrictions to disabled?
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I changed a few things to disabled that seemed to be relevant. Not that it helped.

Urge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast