Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove computer from domain

I have a Windows XP Pro computer that was part of a domain in a company that went bankrupt. I want to remove it from the Domain and have it function in A Workgroup. My immediate problem is that I can't open a page in Internet Explorer and so cannot get Windows Updates. This is the message I get...
    403: Forbidden

This error message is generated when the web server is trying to access a file that does not exist or has been configured incorrectly

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Ensure that you have a valid home page defined in your website directory (example: /htdocs/index.html, /htdocs/index.php). On Unix, this is case sensitive and must be all lower case.

In your Account Manager, under Hosting Tools, click to .Reset File Permissions..
    If you need help resetting file permissions, click here: http://www.networksolutions.com/supp...e-permissions/
    Whatever that domain was it no longer exists. I really, really don't want to reinstall everything. I did go into My Computer-Properties and change the name and place it in a Workgroup instead of a Domain but it didn't help.
    In your Account Manager, under Hosting Tools, click to .Reset File Permissions..
    is this something local I can change or was it at the servers for the domain?

There must be a way.

Urge

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You've already correctly removed the machine from the domain. There's nothing else you need to do there. Its likely they were using WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) or SCCM (System Center Configuration Manger) to control how patches were deployed in that environment. So Windows Update might still be looking for those services. To see if this is the case, look for the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU with a Reg_DWORD entry of UseWUServer. If there is a value in this key then delete it, reboot and run Microsoft Updates again. If there is no value, then there may be a 3rd party agent installed that's controlling the distribution point that Windows Update is looking for. 3rd parties that push patches are companies like (but certainly not limited to) Shavlik, Solar Winds, & Logmein.

Can you get hold of the original media for the PC? You'd be a whole lot better off starting from scratch if you can. I suspect you may run into other issues that may cause you headaches.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I try to go to Tools-Internet Options the computer won't let me go there in IE but I can in Firefox. I looked in the registry but only got as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\ there is no entry for WindowsUpdate let alone \AU. The company this computer came from went bankrupt so no chance of any original media.

I just looked thru add/remove programs nand came across "akamai netsession interface service" could this possibly have something to do with this issue? Here is a blurb from their site describing it...What is the Akamai NetSession Interface?
    The Akamai NetSession Interface is distributed networking software which greatly enhances the quality and speed of downloads and video streams you get from websites that support Akamai technology. The Akamai NetSession Interface handles the caching, reflecting and sending of files delivered to you through the Akamai network. The software is safe and secure, and does not contain any adware or spyware and never will. It can also be easily removed if you no longer wish to use it (see 'How do I uninstall the Akamai NetSession Interface?').
    Urge
    Last edited by Urge; 2012-05-31 at 17:31.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I doubt it.

The fact that you can't go to Tools/Internet Options in IE is a tell tale sign that there have been some Group and/or IEAK (Internet Explorer Administration Kit) policies applied to the operating system. That's most certainly going to bite you at some point.

As far as getting the original media, you might try contacting the manufacturer and see if you can purchase a restore disk. Or look on E-bay for one maybe.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doc Brown wrote...
    The fact that you can't go to Tools/Internet Options in IE is a tell tale sign that there have been some Group and/or IEAK (Internet Explorer Administration Kit) policies applied to the operating system.
    So, why can't I download IEAK and reconfigure IE? I saw this on MS Technet...
    If you are a corporate administrator, after you distribute your custom version of Internet Explorer that you built using Internet Explorer Administration Kit 7 (IEAK 7), you have several options for managing these settings:

• By storing a master .ins file on a server and downloading it each time you log on to the network, you can adjust user option settings on an ongoing basis. By directly editing logon scripts, you can manage and regularly update settings from a centralized server.
    • For computers running Windows XP, you can use the Internet Explorer Maintenance extension in Group Policy (Gpedit.msc) to manage user settings.
    • For computers running Windows Vista, you should use Administrative Templates in Group Policy to fully manage policies.
    • For computers running Windows XP, you can view current policy settings by using Resultant Set of Policy (Rsop.msc).
    • Using IEAK Profile Manager, you can administer configuration files. IEAK Profile Manager enables you to open any .ins file and make changes to settings.
    I know nothing about this program but it appears to give you the ability to change settings. Am I mistaken about this? I have IE7, what if I upgraded to IE8, would that reset everything to a standard configuration?

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running gpedit.msc?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to do it as follows.

1. Hit Windows logo key + Pause/Break to take you to "System Properties".
    2. Click the tab called "Computer Name" and then at the bottom, click the "Change" button.
    3. Give the computer a name and then click the radio button for 'WORKGROUP".
    4. Apply/OK

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried gpedit.msc (thanks JoeP517) but didn't find anything that was changed that would address my issue(it was largely "not configured").
    Xircal-I did that (it's in my 1st post) but it made no difference. This computer (a Gateway) has IE7, would upgrading to IE8 maybe fix the problem?

Urge

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think IE has been configured via group policy. This changes values in the registry that limits what you can do in IE.
    Close IE.
    Remove this branch from the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer
    Restart IE and you should now be able to change things.
    Set the proxy off, Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Un-tick everything.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remove this branch from the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer
    The only value in this branch is "nobrowseroptions" and it is set to 0. There is no Internet Options applet in Control Panel.

Urge

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try doing it this way.

1. Open a comand prompt.
    2. Type: net computer \\computername /del
    3. Hit Enter
    4. Type: Exit to close the command prompt.
    5. Reboot

So if your computer is called "Urge", you'd type: net computer \\urge /del

Then assign it to a workgroup.
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-02 at 13:02. Reason: for extra clarity

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried this and got this response: This command can be used only on a Windows Domain Controller. I am guessing this means the computer is thinking that it is not in a Domain.

Urge
    Last edited by Urge; 2012-06-02 at 15:41.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Control Panel for values described in this post.
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/537/
    Remove the entire "Internet Explorer" branch.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running this Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Malware_Prevention/en-us

This is what it's supposed to do:

• Checks Windows Firewall configuration and repairs as needed.
    • Checks Windows policies to determine bad settings in the Windows Registry.
    • Checks status of antivirus.
    • Checks Internet Explorer privacy setting to determine how cookies are handled.
    • Checks Windows Update to ensure computer is kept current and secure.
    • Resets Remote Registry back to default to prevent remote modification.
    • Resets User Account Control to default to prevent unauthorized changes to computer.
    • Clears Internet Explorer history and cache.
    • Checks if Internet Explorer is up to date.

You could also try resetting IE to default settings. The "Reset" button is located in IE Properties (right click the IE icon on your desktop) | Advanced tab.

This article may also help: Internet Explorer security zones registry entries for advanced users
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-03 at 02:11. Reason: Added URL

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Xircal, all the setting on Urge's PC are valid. His problem is they prevent him changing the things he needs to change to make the PC work in a non-corporate environment.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast