Kafka

Installing Programmes on XP

I just purchased a new computer loaded with XP. I'm encountering some difficulty installing programmes that are I know can run on windows 98, nt, and 2000.

When I load the cds containing those programmes and use Explorer to view the contents, although the name of the disc appears in the left-hand pane, no files appear in the right. When I double click on the cd name in the left-hand pane, the cursor jumps to the program subdirectory under the c: drive.

Likewise, if I do a search for the execution files, eg, *.exe, or even *.* for that matter, the search reports no such files.

Can anyone tell me why XP will not read the contents of the CDs or run the execution files? Is there a default setting I must change?

Thanks,
    Walter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing Programmes on XP

To install programs, you need administrator privileges. Are you the administrator on this pc?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It looks strange. By default, Win XP when you insert CD in your CD-ROM drive, starts reading CD and shows pop-up menu with a list of options: play, show image, explore, etc. The same even if you insert CDRW formatted in CDUDF. Try to right-click CD icon in Explorer pane and choose "open" or "explore" options. If it doesn't work, choose "properties" option and look does it see CD in your drive.
    By the way, if your CD-ROM drive doesn't read your CD for any reason, "find" option also brings you no results.

Kafka

Thanks, but nothing work. I checked I do have administrator rights. And I right-clicked on the CD icon in explorer and selected open, but that didn't work either.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you used original installation CDs made by software vendors, the only thing possible - defective CD-ROM drive itself (unfortunately, it happens). Contact your computer manufacturer to change your CD-ROM under warranty.

Kafka

Actually, the problem was the device driver for the CD ROM was corrupted. I trashed it, rebooted--allowing XP--to create a new driver, and XP would now read the drive.
    Thanks,
    Walter