Thread: 1st bug.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1st bug.

Hello.
    Like the rest here, I am trying the new W-8 RP. Nogo ! It asked for the Vid Card driver and I was happy to see that it did but then it would not use it. So, I connected the monitor to the on-board header. it still stops on trying to use a driver to install.
    Next step is to physically remove the vid-card, a FireMV 2250, ATI. It is owned by Microsoft, no ?

30 minutes later, after a few attempts, RP will not go past that dialogue, will not see the FireMV 2250 nor the video on the Mobo. I will do another D/L of the install DVD. Such is life.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-06-01 at 10:20.

Thanks
    I would also check the Sha 1 Hash after you download the ISO file. I used Hash Tab. When you install Hash Tab, right click on an ISO file and select properties. You will see another tab that checks the Sha 1 Hash.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1st bug gone ???

Hello Ted.
    Well, I think that I am on RP. It was some arduous, how many restart, I lost track. I finally got it going by a 2-click on the Setup.exe on the DVD. It would not boot otherwise. I also got my vid-card validated after feeding the CD driver to it.
    At first, it asked for the CD but then would not use the driver at all, a run-around had to be devised.
    It save a few of my settings to in spite of saying that it would keep none, my french keyboard is active, on demand.
    At one restart, it went into W-7 that is on HD L:\ which is the destination clone for that OS, never fear, I did a clone to a USB HD before I even attempted this install.
    Now to go and clean up the stuff, it never asked me for a time zone and it loaded PDT. You be good and have fun, I am. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

winload.exe ???

Joe517, great day to you.
    This W-8 RP is fun. I have to ask you for some guidance now. It will not boot and says that it can not find : Windows\System32\winload.exe.

I tried a Refresh and it did not complete. The funny part is that if I get the install DVD in a device, it will access it for three short burst and then complete the booting. I do not select "Hit any key to boot from CD-DVD", I let it go to C:\ and that is when it will look for this missing file on the DVD, I presume.

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

I just looked into Windows\System32 and the file winload.exe is there. This really has me stumped. JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-06-02 at 12:59. Reason: added info.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe517, great day to you.
    This W-8 RP is fun. I have to ask you for some guidance now. It will not boot and says that it can not find : Windows\System32\winload.exe.
    I tried a Refresh and it did not complete. The funny part is that if I get the install DVD in a device, it will access it for three short bursts and then complete the booting. I do not select "Hit any key to boot from CD-DVD", I let it go to C:\ and that is when it will look for this missing file on the DVD, I presume.
    Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
    I just looked into Windows\System32 and the file winload.exe is there. This really has me stumped. JP.

Thanks
    I think your whole install is corrupted. I would try to reinstall from scratch. I assume this is a dual boot, Win 7 and Win 8 RP. Using Win 7, open disk manager and delete the Win 8 RP partition. Personally I use Partition Wizard for these chores, but the Win 7 Disk Manager should work as well. After the Win 8 RP partition is deleted it will show unallocated space. I would then use EasyBCD to delete the Win 8 RP entry in the MBR (This thread shows how I did it.).

Put your DVD in and boot to the DVD (Have you checked your Sha 1 Hash to ensure your download was correct as I showed in Post #2 above). Choose Custom Install and point toward the unallocated space (This is exactly how I installed my Win 8 RP). Since you are early in the installation process, this should not be real time consuming. My installation is very stable and working very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I did all that you suggested in #2 and I still have the missing winload.exe. The DVD must be at fault somehow, in spite of Hash. I will wait until the furore dies down a little and D/L the DVD again. As it is, I can get RP running with the DVD in a reader. I had used Gparted to clean the C:\ before this last attempt. Again, thanks for your continuous support. JP.

Thanks
    It almost has to be the DVD. The hash is checked on the ISO file before burning it to disk. When you burn it to disk again, make sure of either using Win 7 Image Buren (right click ISO file and choose Burn Image to Disk) or if using something else (i.e. ImgBurn) use a slow burn speed (4 X Maximum speed) The Win 7 native burner chooses the correct burning speed by default.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted