New Lounger
    Thanks

Videos not rendering in Firefox 10.0.4 Windows 7 32 Home Premium

Firefox is current for version 10, Adobe Flash plug-in is current but videos will not play. I can switch to the IE tab and videos will play. I've queried the internet for solutions, have uninstalled/reinstalled all programs and still no videos. Any suggestions?
    Cheers,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You might try uninstalling and installing FF12 the latest version.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbsojourner View Post
    Firefox is current for version 10, Adobe Flash plug-in is current but videos will not play. I can switch to the IE tab and videos will play. I've queried the internet for solutions, have uninstalled/reinstalled all programs and still no videos. Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Is Flash installed on Firefox? To check, press CTRL+SHIFT+A to open the Firefox Add-ons manager and then click the Plugins link. If you can see the two installations shown in the following screenshot, then it is installed.

flash_for_firefox.png

The bottom one of the two is the enhanced Flash player used for things like web presentations, online games etc. You don't need that if all you want to do is to watch videos on Youtube.

If you cannot see either, go to these sites to download:

Since Firefox doesn't support ActiveX controls, you have to install it separately even if it's installed in IE.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to Retired Geek and Xircal; Have updated the browser and verified the flash plug-in (previously done but double checked ) and still no videos. So still seeking a solution if possible. The next step will be to ditch FF... and use another browser which would be a shame as I have it sooo customized.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to eliminate an add-on as the culprit, could you do the following please.

1. If you have the layout with the oblong orange Firefox button top left, hit ALT to toggle the text links on.
    2. Next, click "Help", then "Restart with Add-ons disabled".
    3. Click "Yes" to confirm and then in the next menu, click the button called "Continue in Safe Mode" without checkmarking any of the boxes.
    4. When Firefox restarts, all your add-ons will be disabled, but plugins will remain enabled. Go somewhere and try to play videos. If it works, then one of your add-ons is the cause of the problem.
    5. The next step is to repeat "Restart with Add-ons disabled", but then in the next menu, checkmark the top one called "Disable all Add-ons". Then click the button called "Make changes and restart".
    6. After that, it's just a case of re-enabling them one by one until the problem recurs. Then you'll know which one is the culprit.

Here's a list of problematical extensions in case it helps: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Xircal, thanks so much. Yes, it's one of my add ons so will enable one-by-one to see which is the culprit. Have also reset No Script and AdBlock Plus user preferences to defaults in about:config. A few minutes later--it's my No Script. The place marker wasn't working so had to manually reset preference to allow Flash whereas I've not had to do that before. For now I'll assume this problem is fixed .
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    You might try uninstalling and installing FF12 the latest version.
    Actually, Firefox 13 is now the Stable Release. But 10.0.4 was a recent update, so it should have all the current compatibilities.

@kbsoujourner --
    As with any FF update, some Add-ons may not immediately work in a newly updated Firefox version. The Add-on Manager will help find the latest Extensions updates, but as has been posted, Flash Player will need to be updated for both IE and FF. This is usually automatic, unless you have changed the preference for updates in Flash Player or its installer.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-06-07 at 15:00.
    -- Bob Primak --