2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Win 8 RP installed with XP & Win 7 multi-boot

I downloaded and installed Win8 RP, built the ISO image, burned to a DVD, booted that DVD, and installed to a new partition on separate hard disk drive. My existing system already had XP and Win7 with dual boot, each on separate disk drives.

Win8 RP install recognized the existing dual boot configuration, put Win8 at the top, where the boot manager comes up with a GUI interface.

I changed the boot order to default back to Win7, and on next restart, the Win7 text boot manager comes up. If this stays in the production build, I may consider using Win8 more routinely.

This all went off without a hitch. The primary disk with the computer (HP Pavilion) was XP, supplemented by my own install of Win7 (all of these are 32 bit mode).

The only unusual thing was seeing some Win7 application stuff show up in the Users folder (apparently as part of an automatic transfer during the install). An updated Windows Defender displaces Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't found any of the old Windows Live stuff yet (maybe not there yet).

For now, I am just getting familiar with Win8, with no real plans to move applications yet.

Thanks
    Most of the tips and customizations listed in the Win 8 Forum were developed for Win 8 CP, but still work in Win 8 RP. I have also found most apps that work in Win 7 will work just fine in Win 8, at least the Desktop apps. I'm not really into the Metro apps yet.

I like the Win 7 Boot Loader better than the Win 8 boot loader anyway. If you need to use the Recovery portions of Win 8 Boot Loader, most are available in the Control Panel, Recovery.

Have fun exploring this new beta OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I have a very similar disk setup to you on one PC (but will not have replaced Win8CP with Win8RP until later today), and a fourth, large, data partition also, which I have set to be the D: drive for each of the three operating systems.

However I use the free EasyBCD software to find all my bootable partitions and give me a more familiar operating system selection interface than does the Windows 8 boot paradigm.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-06-02 at 03:13.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    I also like EasyBCD. I find it much more full featured than msconfig.exe although I still use this small utility as well. I turn off the Boot Gui using msconfig.exe.

In EasyBCD, I use the EasyBCD Deployment Tab to set the Win 7 MBR: (Remember to Write MBR)

EasyBCD Deployment.jpg

I then switch to the Edit Boot Menu and set Win 8 RP as the default OS: (Remember to Save Settings)

EditBootMenu.jpg
    Now I have the Win 7 MBR with Win 8 RP as the default OS.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-02 at 07:30.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all, thanks to others for their comments on the boot configuration. However, since the existing boot manager support with Windows 8 is suitable, there really seems to be little reason at this point to consider any of the alternatives. Perhaps later after the production release or when it is time to remove XP or Win7.

Now for a new question: Windows Live is supposed to be included as Windows 8 components. However, it seems that the Windows 8 mail component will only allow use by having a Windows Live ID. Currently on my Win7 system, I use Windows Live Mail with my existing ISP email account by configuring it with all of the email connectivity. How can I configure the Windows 8 mail to run the same way?

Thanks
    The Win 8 RP mail app does not appear complete yet. It is further along than in CP, but still only allows Hotmail, GMail and MS Exchange I believe. It does not allow Pop Imap connections yet. For this reason I would continue with WLM for now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted