3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 HP ISO with SP1

I am having trouble with my PC. For some reason it no longer loads mass storage USB devices. The devices are recognized and can be ejected. They show up in Device Manager and are said to be working properly. I have run a utility called usbdeview-x64 and can see the devices I use, but cannot do anything with them. I have also gone into Disk Management and tried assigning drive letters to them and get an error message.

I tried to reinstall Windows with Fred Langas' method, but got an error message that it could not install because my version of Windows was newer than the one being installed. I am guessing that my ISO was of a pre SP1 version even though I was told it was not. Here is a link I found for ISO version: http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...ownload-links/

I put my original ISO file on an external HD which I cannot access so I cannot determine the name of the file I originally burned to a Windows 7 CD.

I this the download I am looking for or do I need to go somewhere else? I do not want to uninstall SP1 and then find out that is not the issue.

Thanks
    Looks like they are are the original ISOs.

The ISOs with SP1 can be found here http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

ldb (2012-06-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. That was the issue with the DVD I had not being SP1. The reinstall fixed my drives issue.

This did not go as advertised though as my display driver was lost, I will have to reinstall a new one. Also my CPU fan is screaming and I cannot find a setting in the BIOS to fix it. I know about Speedfan but do not like things running in the background if not necessary. This is a Dell PC and something else was monitoring the speed as the CPU was quiet most of the time and I never had issues with CPU overheating.

Also my OS size increased from 24 to 33 GB. Not sure why a whole 9 GB had to be added to a system that up until recently was functioning well and what happened with the drives was the only thing not working perfectly. 2 system restore points were added, not sure if it is these that ballooned the OS size, they usually do not take up that much space.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installing the new display driver seems to have solved the fan speed issueand the monitor detection issue I did not mention. Must have been the video card fan as I did not open the case to check.
    Last edited by ldb; 2012-06-02 at 14:43.

Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted.

Regarding the increase in disk usage, it depends on how you did the reinstall. You may find that you now have a windows.old folder which contains all your old applications & data. This folder can be deleted but have a look inside it first just in case there is something you require.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Fred Langas method as an upgrade. There were a lot of updates, over 50 and they all did not come at one time. I think that this may be the issue. Also when I ugraded from Vista, I did the same thing pretty much only that time with the PC manufacturer upgrade disk. That would have not been good to use as it was also non SP1 and would have put all of that other junk on and probably would not have worked without a clean install. Also I remember that a large file was saved and was accessable in disk cleanup so I will check there when I am comfortable that everything is well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the answer to the huge disk space increase. Windows reset my swap file size to the size of my memory. In my earlier installation I had a lower fixed size swap file. This was based on several days of testing. I have 8 GB of ram and usually have over half free. I purchased a computer that was much more than my needs so it would not be obsolete in 3 years. The clue came when I made an image and the new image was almost identical in size to a previous image.

Thanks
    You might be able to have your imaging software omit the PF upon image creation, depending upon the software you use.
    ...Then when it comes time to restore an image, the PF would automatically be set, after all, the advanced settings would always be the same
    as that which you have set it up to be.
    I don't know if the default Windows 7 MS imaging application would do this, someone else would have to comment about it's finer properties.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might be able to have your imaging software omit the PF upon image creation
    Apparently it already does. It was the new Windows installation that caused to page file to be reset. Thus the ballon in disk size. This would have been reflected in the new image size and was not leading me to the solution.

Thanks
    Yes, but the image you store will be that much smaller.
    If you want a lessor PF foot print then you could set for a minimum and a maximum.

The minimum should allow for just enough space for logs and OS dump files, the OS would automatically default to the smaller usage if it were not needed.
    It would depend upon how you use your system.

Non destruct restoration reinstalls will always have the PF default to original OS setup values based on memory size, not your settings.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-06-11 at 12:01.