New Lounger
    Thanks

Solution - locked desktop icons win 7 x64 - unlock desktop icons windows 7

Re: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-desktop-icons
    Quote Originally Posted by davdun75 View Post
    Thanks for your reply...
    To clarify my issue: I have arranged the icons where I want (having AutoArrange deselected). Usually, I can freely move them when desired (as in moving a new shortcut to an application or a saved shortcut to a website to a different spot on the desktop). Every now and then, though, the icons 'magically' become locked into their current position and a reboot is necessary to unlock them (when I reboot, the current icon positioning is maintained and I can freely move them again). Not sure if this a Win7 glitch or something with one of my apps - no specific computer activity causes this behavior. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem...?
    Re: locked desktop icons windows 7 x64
    Re: locked desktop icons win 7 x64
    Re: locked desktop icons Win7 64bit
    Re: unlock desktop icons windows 7

I've searched on google for a solution to this locked issue but could not find anything. The desktop icons are completely locked - unmovable. I have exactly the same problem with Win7 64bit, it is very strange and I noticed that the "locked desktop icons" issue happens randomly. you can still move around the desktop icons from windows explorer, but the ones in the desktop are locked. However, I've seen this lock issue happen especially after resuming from hibernation. A reboot will remove the lock issue. I also tried the following and it worked: I terminated the explorer.exe process with task manager, and then re-run the process explorer.exe again with task manager. Then the locked icon issue was gone and I was able to move the icons in the desktop again. probably this is not the best way of solving that issue, but its better than a reboot, or (safe mode which was a solution mentioned on tomshardware - By the way, how safe mode will solve the lock issue ?). I don't know if this is a bug in win7 x64 or another app is causing this strange behavior. I hope this helps.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If by "locked" you mean the desktop icons won't react to left and right clicks (and yes you can access through Start button or Explorer on Task Bar). I've had the same continuing problem for the past two days. Reboot the machine and all is well... use IE9... the icons stop working. Check the Task Manager and you will see multiple copies of iexplorer.exe *32 running. Use "End Process" on them and the desktop works again, even without a reboot. Open IE9 and problem is back.

Try going to IE9> Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset and this will reset (repair) IE9. I then re-enabled the Add-ons I have found most useful and so far (fingers crossed) the problem has not come back. Fingers crossed...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Unlock Desktop Icons in Windows 7

Hi

I had this issue... The auto arrange and lock options are uncheck... Cleaned my reg etc.. and still when I dragged an Icon to a new location on the desktop is when straight back to the original location. So i used the display option to select projector and then returned to monitor and that has fixed it

Hope this helps