Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation 100% Unsupported

You know a lot has been said regarding not wiping out production machines w/ a beta OS.

There is a reason or another reason that I haven't seen mentioned that is maybe THE most important.

Betas are unsupported!

An End User running a beta OS, if, they were to ring MS Tech Support, would be told, "Sorry, there is no support available for that OS, it is a beta".

Running a beta, you are 100% on your own.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    What, you think some of our readers might need tech support? What would ever make you think that?
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-02 at 15:21.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    What I would like is a "Where have they hidden it this time?" list for Windows 8 systems administrators, giving the easiest ways to find Control Panel, Computer Management, Device Management, Disk Management, etc, etc!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Batcher, Most of those are in the Power Users menu. From the Desktop type Win+X to see this menu pop up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-06-02),CLiNT (2012-06-03)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    OR

Rt Clk @ the Bottom-Left Corner

Cheers,
    Drew

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-06-02),CLiNT (2012-06-03)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Batcher, Most of those are in the Power Users menu. From the Desktop type Win+X to see this menu pop up.
    Yes, Ted - I got this from your other post! Thanks!

Looks like Paul Thurrott has the best list of Windows 8 Shortcut Keys.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-06-02 at 15:49.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quite some time ago we posted this list here. When I find it I will add a link to that thread. Oh, I see most are in the Sticky thread in this forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Rt Clk, Bottom-Left Corner gives same menu

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ours isn't bad either...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-More-for-Win8

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You know a lot has been said regarding not wiping out production machines w/ a beta OS.

There is a reason or another reason that I haven't seen mentioned that is maybe THE most important.

Betas are unsupported!

An End User running a beta OS, if, they were to ring MS Tech Support, would be told, "Sorry, there is no support available for that OS, it is a beta".

Running a beta, you are 100% on your own.

Cheers,
    Drew
    I agree with you in a couple of points ie you should never run a beta on a production machine and MS will not give support.

However, end users shouldn't be running a beta O/S unless they know what they are doing and realise the risk that they may lose everything on the PC (although MS does like the telemetry they receive)

Also, I have to disagree with your comment that you are 100% on your own whilst running a beta, MS may not give support but there are many peer to peer groups (such as this forum) that will give plenty of support.

Thanks
    In my dual-boot of Windows 8 and Windows 7, I have had to wipe out Win 8 several times, and I installed CP as a clean install instead of upgrading DP. None of these actions disturbed Win 7 HP in any way whatsoever. Your Mileage May Vary. The Win 8 installer allows a dual-boot to be set up almost automatically.

I like having the Power Menu available by hovering over the lower-left corner, waiting for the Metro Start Menu Thumbnail to appear, and right-clicking on it. Very cool! We need more tips and tricks like this to be posted in The Lounge.

Actually, Microsoft maintains a social answers site of sorts for Windows 8 beta testers, and they have the Building Windows 8 Blog. Many sources for support from Microsoft developers, if you know where to look. And then there's The Lounge, where some of us have been tinkering with Windows 8 from the beginning. You are never alone if you visit The Lounge.

Sometimes a good-old Google Search will turn up videos on the subject of your vexation. There's lots of Windows 8 How-To Demos out there.

If you prefer to explore Windows 8 on your own, and you don't want to Restore and Reset all the time when errors inevitably occur, try using a backup program which is ready for Windows 8, like Macrium Reflect V Free or Paid. You need not live in fear of wrecking Windows 8 beyond recovery if you image it at intervals. While you're at it, also image any other OS on your computer when doing Windows 8 installations or experiments.

So go ahead, experiment, try things, and crash or wreck Windows 8 if something unexpected happens. As long as you have a recovery image and recovery media (a bootable CD to launch the recovery program), just fifteen minutes or so, and you are as good as new. Maybe better.

But do us all a favor, and do not try to install Windows 8 RT Release Preview on a Tablet you care about. It usually won't work, and you could permanently brick the device.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-06-02 at 23:32.
    -- Bob Primak --

Banned Member
    Thanks
    All the tips that we are supplying ppl here in the forum are available in the HELP section of Windows8 itself. It's all there in the very computer & OS you are trying to use. Or we will happily give you the answers & info.

As I entered earlier in this thread, it's all right here - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-More-for-Win8

And, yes, certainly, there is peer support. I was referring to the support from MS for non-beta Windows that does not exist for beta OSs.

If, you have a dual-boot that is the whole point & beauty of the idea; it's pretty much like having 2 separate & distinct machines. Ergo, can do whatever to 1 w/ no impact on the other. & yes, setting up dual-boot, nothing could be much simpler or take fewer steps & no 3rd party stuff is needed. I'm sure I put the instructions in this forum somewhere.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I was responding to the rather provocative title of the OP, which says that Windows 8 is 100% unsupported. This was what I found to be partly true, but not entirely true. Sometimes peer support works better than official channels. At least in my experience.

I know in my case, the procedure for setting up the dual-boot was found here in the Lounge. Thanks to whoever posted it. Ted Meyers was the one who recommended in response to one of my posts that I should do a dual-boot rather than a virtual machine for Win 8 DP. I've stuck with the dual-boot ever since.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-06-03 at 00:45.
    -- Bob Primak --

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Bob,

Understood & agree but, in the context of what was written it was only in regard to difference of eligibility to MS support for their products beta vs non-beta OS. From MS beta are 100% unsupported & the title catches ppl's eye

Yes, came from Ted or myself, I forget, now. The procedure to establish dual-boot sure is silly simple, that's true.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-06-03 at 02:57.

Thanks
    OK Bob, I'll take credit is you insist. LOL

I tried the VM initially with DP. At that time I had a pretty fast processor but only 4 Gb Ram. I found having to share the resources between the client and host OS's caused my performance to take a big hit. Plus I was having some problems separating the 2. Was the taskbar on my Client or host? What toolbar belonged to what OS? I finally gave up and researched the dual boot. I had already tried dual boot with Linux (which I ultimately dropped as well) so I knew even my old brain could set this up.

I have not looked back since. I did upgrade my Ram to 8 Gb. I also have a data partition where I have my important stuff stored, which I back up regularly to 2 other PC's.

I did wipe my Win 8 CP OS before installing Win 8 RP, then installed Win 8 RP by using the DVD I burned the ISO file onto. I could have left Win 8 CP in place and installed directly over it with Win 8 RP but decided I wanted to install on a totally clean partition. This also proved that Win 8 RP can be installed to unallocated space on a HD as I did not format the space prior to installing Win 8 RP. Everything just worked the way I expected. Win 8 RP installed very quickly, and I do not have a SSD, just a 7200 rpm platter drive.

The dual boot setup is easy to create Images as well. I boot to my Acronis Boot Disk (this way everything is done outside of Windows) and include both Win 7 and Win 8 RP in a single Image file. I do not include the Data partition since this is backed up separately. When I want to restore on or both OS's, I simply boot to the Acronis Boot Disk again and select which OS to restore. I restore them separately from this single Image file. Cool!

note: Perhaps the title should have said 100% Unsupported by MS, but the way it was posted started a very worthwhile discussion. This has been good!
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-03 at 08:10.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Very similar approach here. Ran DP as a vm. Dual-boot CP & then, RP (other OS, Win7). In my case, when switching from CP to RP, the drive holding CP was deleted & formatted then, RP was installed to that drive that HAD been holding the CP. Then everything was easily & quickly reconfigured, as wanted by pulling from the separate Data drive (that can be seem by both OSs) or from the ext. drive where everything from both Win7 & the CP is/was backed-up... once I had what I wanted, needed, the CP material was deleted from the ext. & the RP's data (now) pointed @ it, instead.

I will, heartily concur that setting up dual-boot is extremely quick & painless and installing Win8 is very fast, requires less software than ever to be added & does most of the 'heavy lifting' regarding peripheral gear all by itself, for you.

Yeah, didn't expect the discussion it created. Was pretty specific what support meant & was mostly to add another item to the list of how running a beta OS puts one @ a disadvantage, in terms of the manufacturer not offering 'official' customer care to a product that is a bit like a prototype car & not, actually, in production, yet. Just, another consideration if & when making a beta OS a person's 1 & only.

Cheers,
    Drew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast