Thread: Casual Comment

Banned Member
    Thanks

Casual Comment

An Observation:

Windows8 is very fast, internally & surfing.
    Boot time is quick
    Resource use remains low
    Navigating & finding things is easy
    Compatibility (Hardware & Software) is excellent.
    OS installation simple & rapid & includes peripheral gear. Much software traditionally needed, no longer required (to be added)

Cheers,
    Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming Windows 8

Here at our computer club, we have 5 desktop users using Windows 8. Since we are primarily Desktop Users who spend little time in Metro, we have decided to rename Windows 8 to Windows 7.5.

Rich

Banned Member
    Thanks
    There you go, Rich, LOL

I'd fit well in that club... I see the Start screen when I boot, then, after OMG having to hit the Desktop tile, I don't see it, again

And this isn't cus I hate Start, for god knows why, but, cus, why go there if, I'm, already, @ Desktop & don't NEED to bounce (back) to Start for anything?

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I've been thinking about the possibility of hacking an iPad to run Windows 8 when it finally comes out.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Clint,

Why not just buy a pad or tablet that runs Win8, in the 1st place? They'll be available very soon.

Drew

Thanks
    I already have an iPad 2.
    It's a bit early though, but I think this question will become more and more relevant, especially if windows 8 turns
    out to be highly successful in the mobile marketplace.
    It may turn out that the iPad hardware is too proprietary but it should at least be explored.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I expect the Windows price point to be better; Apple is notoriously high priced.

Drew

Thanks
    Actually, I expect the Ipad price points to be better because they have huge supply chain advantages. That has been true for the current crop of equivalently configured tablets. Right now you can get a refurbed Ipad2 with the same warranty as a new one and a new battery for $319 (16 gig WiFi only) . I bought one earlier for $340 and have been very pleased with it.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I expect the Windows price point to be better; Apple is notoriously high priced.

Drew
    Android tablets have proven that assertion wrong. Apple can sell more than any individual Windows manufacturer and they do have huge advantages on the supply chain. If they didn't want to levy the high margins they have, they would be unbeatable on price.

Thanks
    Note that the Android tablets have a free OS. Windows tablets will have to pay a Microsoft Tax. And I haven't seen similarly configured Android tablet all that much cheaper. Both Apple and Android have a huge lead in available Apps as well. It sort of flip flops the advantage Microsoft has over Apple on the desktop.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Most Android vendors have signed agreements with Microsoft to license various patents. Therefore, Andoid does cost someone. In the end it is anyone who pays for a device.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Wow, this thread took a turn, eh? Not a bad thing, just an observation

As long as there's healthy discussion... that's terrific

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Getting back on target a bit...

A good part of the appeal for the iPad is that iOS is sufficiently limited in it's overall resource utilization and power usage.
    It seems to strike the right balance between usability and power management.

[I'm taking about the iPad exclusively because that is the only tablet I have, and it's the most popular]

The iPad never really turns off, at least in my experience, it just goes into a vey low power mode.
    Going to a state of instant on is very appealing as far as being able to surf the internet or play games while being super light weight and highly
    mobile. Something a laptop cannot easily provide to the extent that the tablet does. (at least the iPad)
    The iPads limited usability, I suspect, is also a big factor in it's power management and low power usage.

As we all know, these tablets are largely media devices with limited or non existant multitasking usages, not exactly what we think of as a real
    computer, more like a device, like your smart phone jacked up a bit

The big question will be if MS is able to replicate this, and to what degree. Will they provide decent usage on par with or surpass the iPad while maintaining a low resource signature, therby promoting on par battery longevity in line with the iPad.
    If Windows 8 puts too much usability into it's tablet/ARM devices will it will suffer greatly when it comes to battery life.
    Windows 8 for desktop and Windows 8 for touch device will certainly have to be very two defferent creatures.

As I have said previously, I would be more than happy to dump the iPad if Windows 8 could pull this off.
    It just doesn't get much worse than iTunes, and windows 8 would be far more preferable to sync to my desktop.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Clint,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 1st of all they are different... Windows8 RT is the Tablet, etc. version of the OS (specific for such devices).

2nd as an IT Pro & MS Partner I can remember @ conferences way back the Presenter saying, as he held up a cel phone, soon we will be able to have our computers in our hand. Not an 'almost' computer... MS have been working towards this for a long time. One of the major design goals (w/ Windows8) was to have an OS that would be happy across (all) multiple devices, period.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I know Win 8 RP plays very nicely on my laptop with a mouse and conventional keyboard. The OS zips along very nicely. I only have one app that has not installed so far, and that's PDANet 3.5 (In Win 7 this app will let me surf by using my phone as a tethered modem.) I am doing my email and Quicken work through Win 8 RP. The native PDF app would not work on one site I use so I installed Foxit Reader. (That reminds me, my PDF-XChange viewer also would not open PDF's in my browser)

Anyway I do not feel I need a tablet at this time as Win 8 RP plays well on my conventional laptop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy