New Lounger
    Thanks

Auslogics: frightening introduction

Recently I resubscribed to Windows Secrets and was afforded the opportunity to download "Auslogics File Recovery," and other programs. So, I downloaded and installed Auslogics File Recovery. Immediately upon running the program for the first time, I get a popup stating: "Auslogics accidentally deleted 23,324 Files and Documents." As if this wasn't frightening enough, Auslogics offered no immediately discernable method to restore/repair these files and documents. A search of the Auslogics Help site also offered no assistance. Well, I said three "Hail Mary's" and simply uninstalled the Auslogics program. Thus far (three days later) I've not noticed any dramatic problems with my Win-7 system, but I'm still holding my breath. Anyone else had any surprises from this specific program installation? Jack

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it said it could recover that many accidentally deleted items.

No program will tell you that it has accidentally deleted files.

Especially not using the name of the company.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce: To answer your last statement first - I was running the Auslogics program; hence, the name of the company was obvious to me - Auslogics. I was so unnerved at the initial result, I wrote it down. It clearly stated that it had accidentally deleted 23,324 files and documents. I was flabergasted at that and, frankly, remain so. Thanks for your response. Jack

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A google search on "Auslogics accidentally deleted" only brings up this thread.

I would suggest that Bruce is correct and that is the number of files that can be recovered. However, 23,324 files is a huge amount. Could that possibly be your internet cache?

Thanks
    Typically, file recovery programs don't delete files, accidently or otherwise. They will run and provide info on
    what it has found, based on the search filters one has chosen, which would also include a generic numerical file count.

23,324 files isn't a huge number when it come to recovering files labeled as deleted.
    Since nothing is really deleted, these files are merely in a state of waiting to be overwritten. And yes, many of these files I suspect could also contain
    browser cache content as well as many other types of files, 99% of which would be utterly useless to recover.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for these responses. I appreciate the courtesy. Jack

Thanks
    After 30+ years as a computer tech, I have quite a list of programs that I won't let anywhere near my PC.

Regrettably, I've recently had to add "Auslogics" and "AShampoo" to that list.
    Why? Well, Auslogics Defrag made a total mess of my hard drive. NO More!

AShampoo? I got a free sample of their Registry cleaner from "Giveaway of the Day".
    It started downloading all sorts of Spyware. I immediately deleted it, but since then I'm
    still getting spam type emails from Ashampoo. It's become a nightmare. So now they
    too are on my Sh** List.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool It may be GOTD...

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    AShampoo? I got a free sample of their Registry cleaner from "Giveaway of the Day".
    It started downloading all sorts of Spyware. I immediately deleted it, but since then I'm
    still getting spam type emails from Ashampoo. It's become a nightmare. So now they
    too are on my Sh** List.
    AShampoo almost always requires app registration, especially for their freebies, but I've never had any problem unsubscribing from the resultant newsletters/ads.

As for the "spyware," I'd suspect GOTD as the culprit, there--they use a custom installer that does a lot more than just install the free software. It's probably part of how they monitize the giveaways. I've taken to avoiding their definition of "free," as a consequence.