Banned Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb A View into Windows8

Here's x64 Windows8 that doesn't keep going to Start for things or being concerned about what is @ that screen.

Using Desktop toolbar, can drill down to anything, anywhere in the machine AND its menu shows all Desktop icons, even though, they don't, actually, show on the Desktop. Quick Launch has a Favorites folder & anything else, instead or as well, that one wants handy. Links is Favorites Bar items & can go to a site w/out browser open 1st or add a site to an open browser. the Applications fold being on the Taskbar is a BIG part of why no need to visit or bounce to Start... ALL applications are in it... not, just the tiles one has on Start & no need to hit Win+Q & go to or via yet, another screen. Add to this, the "Power Users" menu & the APPs Bar & the Start screen gets pretty meaningless, unused & unseen.

Cheers,
    Drew

Screenshot (1).JPG

Banned Member
    Thanks
    These show the Taskbar w/out, Quick Launch. Also, shows Applications folder open & shows Desktop Toolbar open... this one shows all desktop icons & shortcuts, even though, they are not showing on the screen + it 'expands' to drill down to _____ . All w/out Start.
    Capture3.JPG Screenshot16.JPG

Thanks
    It also looks like Windows 8 is very seriously starting to get it's act together as far as decent recovery and refresh options go.
    Traditionally these were often hidden subjects with vague references, it now appears there will be a more fuller recovery/restore
    functionality built into the UI.
    untitled.pnguntitled1.png
    More Windows 8 info
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-06-03 at 03:19.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Very true. There are many things (in 8) deserving of 'honorable mention'. I would be keen to see more discussion of any of the array of cool, worthwhile assets Windows8 has. Hell, nothing will ever please everyone all the time but, still... You raise a good & valid one, Clint. But there are several. Be great to have more of them mentioned, enquired about & discussed. Some things are new, some changed, improved, some cosmetic, some Features, lots of tech, under-the-covers stuff, some subtle & some dramatic, some trivial & some drastic but, heaps of fuel for provocative & dynamic conversation.

Much, like your example that goes deeper or in some way takes a better approach or does a better job. Yes, there's the Start screen but, it's just SO refreshing to devote some time, space & thought to the rest of Windows8

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Even those of us using the Win 7 MBR can get to the Recovery panel very easily. Control Panel, Recovery.

Recovery.jpg

There is a link to go to Reset and Refresh on the Recovery screen, or use Charms, Settings, Change PC Settings, General tab.

I just prefer the look and usage of the Win 7 MBR, so I used EasyBCD to switch to the Win 7 MBR, but set Win 8 RP as the default OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No Refresh.

Hello, Clint.
    I am glad that Refresh worked for you, it did not for me. I have this sick W-8 RP where it needs to have the install DVD in a device on booting otherwise it will not carry through. I was given the option to Refresh as your screen shows, I selected it but it stopped after a while with a dialog saying something like : Refresh could not complete, it encountered an error. I knew this !
    I did a full reinstall and I still have the same problem. Ted here says that it points to the DVD, it might be corrupted. Time will tell.
    I am amazed that the booting will seek this small "winload.exe" file on the DVD and not copy it to the System32 folder. Oh well !
    As a matter of fact, it is in System32, maybe not properly installed. It runs then after this unusual booting. Computors are fun.

Thanks
    Yes JP, I think if you download the ISO file again and check the Sha 1 Hash as discussed in another thread, then burn to a new DVD (using the slow burn) your problem might be solved. Obviously there is not guarantee.

I wonder if the winload.exe file could be extracted from the ISO file and added to the System 32 folder. Hmmmm, that is something I am not sure about. I know 7Zip allows the ISO file to be mounted and explored. If you could find winload.exe you could copy it into the System32 folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    This is nice, fine control for the power user if needed.
    Using Task Manager with 64+ logical processors

This is also some of the "under the hood" type of changes I'm specifically looking for.

This is also very encouraging regarding windows explorer.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-06-03 at 10:01.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Crazy or I ?

Ted, as you know, I do not give up easy and I did not on this. I tried again booting W-8 RP and this time again, for the umpteen time, I chose "Repair you PC" and I seem to think that it did. This session was booted normally, ie: no DVD in any device. I have no explanation at all !

You wrote : I wonder if the winload.exe file could be extracted from the ISO file and added to the System 32 folder. Hmmmm, that is something I am not sure about. I know 7Zip allows the ISO file to be mounted and explored. If you could find winload.exe you could copy it into the System32 folder. <<<

I looked for this on the DVD and could not locate it, but it is, was present, all along since the first install of RP.

At the moment, my ASUS P4 is D/L the DVD.iso for 32-bit machines. It will get installed there just to see if it can be done. This on my #2 machine !

I am OFF to see if again, it will boot. JP.

Later . . it rebooted fine. 36 seconds to the Desktop screen, including typing my PW in.

I still see W-8 RP Evaluation 8400, that is it, no ?
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-06-03 at 11:36. Reason: Later.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, thanks for the URLs, brain activation they are. JP.

Thanks
    JP, I would not bother looking on the DVD since it may be bad. Look into the original ISO file you downloaded.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Build 8400 is correct.

And, Ted, not meant as arguing but, the same manipulation of boot that you are taking about via EasyBCD, can be done via msconfig. Or, also, this command line can be used to move Boot - bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: (inserting whichever drive is wanted as destination). But, msconfig is prolly the easiest, simplest. Again, as often, more than 1 way for things

Drew

Thanks
    I realize that. I like EasyBCD because it has other features that made the process easier for me. Yes I can edit the Boot Menu and change the wait time before the boot begins. I can also add new entries, in case something is lost. I once had to add an entry for Win 7 after I removed Grub. EasyBCD made this an easy process. Under the BCD Deployment tab I can write the Win 7 MBR after installing Win 8 RP (I like the Win 7 MBR better than the Win 8 RP MBR) The utilities tab helps you to access System Restore and Control Panel. It is just more full featured, similarly to other Win 7 or Win 8 RP apps and their 3rd party cousins.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted