New Lounger
    Thanks

Hung dismount of external drive

I run Windows 7 64bit. I have a number of external hard drives (2 or 3 TB each) connected via USB ports. I need to move them from machine to machine periodically. I use the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the task bar and tell it to dismount the external drive. It comes back and says it cannot because some task is using it. This is even though I have no apps running!
    I am suspecting that it is the "Microsoft Windows Search Index" program that is messing with the drive, even though the drive Properties "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed" checkbox is NOT marked.
    On occasion I have had success when I kill the 'windows media player sharing service', but there are times when it is not running and still the drive is in use by something.
    Attempting a shutdown often hangs for minutes or longer waiting for the drives to come free.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Do the external drives have their own dedicated drive letters?
    What type of content is on the drive that may have hooks into it from some another program or process.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the article pointer. I've tried all their simple tricks. As noted, shutting down and rebooting has been tried. Sometime the shutdown hangs totally and it takes a forced power down - presumably because of these hung drives. I will look into the UNLOCKER program and see what it uncovers.

UNLOCKER shows 3 versions of svchost.exe touching the drive at M:, M:\$Extend\$ObjID and M:\System Volume Information\tracking log. It also shows SearchIndexer.exe holding M:. I have tried a number of times to kill this process, then do a dismount, but it returns/restarts before the dismount command can be executed.
    UNLOCKER shows the same 3 versions of svchost.exe and the one SearchIndexer.exe when I examine the N drive.
    Last edited by murreid; 2012-07-23 at 23:00.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The drives are M and N. They contain MP3 (music) files only. The only program that touches these files is MediaMonkey. Needless to say, it is not running when I attempt to dismount the drives. It is a straight forward EXE; there is no DLL or other resident component.
    I have configured Windows Media Player to only look at c:\temp, so it doesn't even know about these drives/files. (I found out the hard way that if it saw TeraBytes of files it effectively shut down my machine for days trying to index it! Needless to say I am not a fan of WMP.)
    The only things running when the dismount attempts are made are those that fired up with the OS during a boot. No apps present.

Thanks
    Have you thought about removing and reasigning drive leters?
    Do you use a specific USB port on your computer for each drive, or mix them up a bit whenever the drives are connected?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Once upon a time the two drives were G and H. Later on I had them as X and Y. Now they are M and N. I have tried these drives on dedicated ports on the desktop. I have tried them on an unpowered USB hub. They are currently on a powered USB hub. All these changes have been to see if I can overcome the failure to dismount. To no avail.
    The problem also occurs on my Win7 32bit laptop, but not as frequently. I don't ever recall there being a hang of a dismount when the drives were used on a WIN XP laptop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Been There done ...... Try " USB Safely Remove ", it doesn't work on removing all programs but pretty damn close! It has some other worthwhile features & Mum 7 & i wouldn't be without it.

Thanks
    My USB drives were getting hung up by Windows System Restore. You can use Windows System Restore's Settings option to tell it not to monitor the drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murreid View Post
    UNLOCKER shows 3 versions of svchost.exe touching the drive at ... M:\System Volume Information\tracking log.
    That suggests System Restore is monitoring Drive M:\
    I totally disable all such monitoring for all partitions on my Externals Drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your Win7 has MS Office 2010 or MS Office 2010 Starter installed or pre-installed, it could be the problem.
    It is a known problem that Office 2010 will not allow you to eject USB device. The culprit is CVH.exe: Client Virtualization Handler service.
    Run Task Manager or similar Process Viewer, look for CVH.exe. If it is there right click then kill the process. (But close MS Office first if it is open).
    If you can eject USB device now, CVH.exe is THE problem.

CVH.exe defaults to Autostart. (It starts when Windows starts.)
    Change it to start only when Office starts. (Office needs it.)
    Do this: Log on as admin. Go to
    Control Panel-Admin. Tools-Services.
    Look for Client Virtualization Handler. Right click and choose stop. Then change it to Manual start.

When Office starts, CVH starts and the problem resurfaces again. Even if you later close Office, CVH service still keeps running. That is, when you use Office, you have to kill the service via TaskManager every time.
    Why not use Libre Office Portable instead, most of the time? It does not need installation even. It is free as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows System Restore is only looking at C drive. It is turned off for M and N drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I run MS Office Home and Student 2010. I don't recall ever seeing CVH in the Task Manager lists. I will keep it in mind though. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed "USB Safely Remove". Rebooted. Ran it and it claimed there were an additional 3 files being used by the "System", in addition to the three SVCHOST.EXE images. (It did not list the SEARCHINDEXER though, that UNLOCKER shows.) Tried a "forced stop" option. It failed.
    So no joy with "USB Safely Remove".