New Lounger
    Thanks

Virtual Private network

I am looking for a VPN program, preferably free, that will allow me to safely access my bank, email, etc., from a hotspot that is open to anyone and everyone. I have found one that is very easy to use but it goes through company X's servers so my info could be intercepted by it.
    Is there a standalone VPN client that does not go through any unknown servers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For the purpose you describe, I don't believe it's possible to avoid the server of a VPN service provider. Your VPN traffic has to be unencrypted somewhere (unless the VPN was actually provided by your bank or email service etc., but then you'd have to switch between the two or three.) So you have to decide to trust someone, somewhere in order to avoid local risks at your end. It's a question of choosing which company to trust. I would suggest HotSpot Shield from AnchorFree.

The only alternative would be to connect to your own home computer via VPN while you're out and about with a laptop, but that may be slower than using a dedicated server.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just have to put my trust in someone. I'll check out HotSpot Shield.
    Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As is shown by responses to this recent question, many users do use VPN/SSH to their own home computer in order to ensure security while using public wi-fi hotspots:

Ask the Readers: How Do You Browse Securely Away From Home?

What You Said: How Do You Browse Securely Away From Home?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It's a question of choosing which company to trust. I would suggest HotSpot Shield from AnchorFree.
    The only alternative would be to connect to your own home computer via VPN while you're out and about with a laptop, but that may be slower than using a dedicated server.
    Bruce
    I have just realized that I may need something like this in the next few weeks. I will be away from home while my husband is having surgery in another city, and using the hospital/hotel wifi connection via my laptop. Since I am church treasurer it may be necessary to contact the church's bank during this time, so how would I set this up to connect to my own home computer before connecting to the bank?

I have downloaded Hot Spot Shield but not gone any further.

Is there a good tutorial somewhere??

To complicate matters my backup treasurer resigned night before last!

BJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some may be interested in an amazing program titled TeamViewer. This program allows one to set up remote access from one computer to the other and allows full screen access from one to the other; it is as though you are sitting in front of your compute at home or where ever. It is also so easy to use that even I was able to have it up and connected in minutes and controlling one computer from the other.The base program is FREE if one states it will only be used for private or non profit use; it also has a VPN function which I have tested out and works flawlessly and allowed me to download files from one computer to the other.The program is, I have to say, AMAZING, yet as mentioned who do you trust? That I can not answer for you; you are the only one with those answers. This particular program is yet another offered by our German friends,(proud to be American, German, Scotch, Cherokee, Seminole) the same as a multitude of the better programs out there today that actually offer something useful instead of some silly APP one really does not need. However, I also would recommend that anyone who uses their computer to access their bank or any other type of online financial transactions such as utility payments or eBay to check with their bank for software which protects their computer and websites while online from screen shots, key loggers, hacks etc… My bank, Compass/BBVA here in the U.S.A. offers me Rapport from Trusteer for free; I use it on all of my sites where I log in with a password be they of a financial nature or not; in fact, they encourage this practice. Before someone corrects me, I know George Thorogood did not write the song; he only covered it; however, due to my being in my mid 50’s I am more familiar with his rendition of said song and lyrics; “WHO DO YOU LOVE?”? Well again, who do you trust with your data? Facebook, Microsoft, TurboTax, Nero, etc… How about the IRS? (For my fellow Yanks) Anyway, in conclusion, give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised; however again, I can’t tell you who to trust! That is to each his/her own; Cheers!--- Danke Schoen!
    Gary
    Last edited by yargnodrog; 2012-07-08 at 07:56.