Thread: PDFs

Banned Member
    Thanks

PDFs

As I have discussed elsewhere, previously, there is less necessity to add certain software, plug-ins, utilities & such w/ Windows8. Between it & what is or will be current browsers (like IE10) a lot, that wasn't, native, now is. In many cases things, that act as apps, are seemingly redundant since, they could be had, still can be, in other ways & presentations than, 'Metro Style' applications & what could be tiles on the Win8 Start screen. There has been lots of discussion voicing both that taking the APP route is (more) appealing & that it is not. Of course, in the CP, we weren't sure how far along APPs were & waited to take another look in the RP. The opinions included the .pdf reader.

Pre-Win8 a PDF reader was required to be added to the OS. W/ Win8, a PDF APP is native. I do feel there, still, is a place for Adobe Reader (let's say) w/ its features/tool-set. However, upon a second, deeper look @ the OS Reader, now that it is w/ the RP, it does have appeal. The appearance (display) is clear, clean, uncluttered, 'pleasant' visually AND things get nice, slick & smooth when put together w/ what's on Charms. Whether printing, E-mailing & more the offerings, the 'look & feel'. Depending which gets to feel comfiest or what one is wanting to do, @ the moment, w/ a .pdf, the native reader is a pretty appealing additional option (CHOICE) and worth checking into it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-06-03 at 18:05.

Thanks
    I have and use this native PDF Reader, but I have a site I need to open a PDF that the native reader just would not open. For this I installed Foxit Reader. For most sites the native reader works, but for my pay check site it does not. I do not know why, but do not have the time to try to figure this out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks Drew, that works out of the box.

It will be interesting to see what the likes of Adobe and others make of this. Here in the EU, Microsoft ended up on the wrong end of a 500M Euro law suit for restrictive practices involving Internet Explorer bundled with Windows. EU deployments of Windows have a Browser Choice app delivered through Windows Update, that explicitly forces the user to consider options for many other browser products - perhaps they may do similar for PDR Reader?

On a slightly different tack, I wonder if this Windows PDF reader will reduce the prevalence of malware attacks using malicious PDF's as the vector to exploit vulnerabilities in Abobe Reader, of if there are (as yet) undiscovered weaknesses in the MS offering that will be attacked. I guess I know the answer to that one, but it will be interesting to see it develop.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'TT',

Yes, I am very much aware of the whole browser thing in the EU. Was just before Vista or Windows7 was released... hmmm, right now I forget which 1 it was... oh well, it's late, that's my excuse...

This isn't open to the same sort of thing because, as I mentioned, there is, still, every freedom to have/use Adobe instead or as well. It's not the OS PDF Reader or nothing.

As for the PDF Reader APP vulnerabilities... I am going to suggest it's not much of a worry. It's a 'passive' reader, its functionality is completely originating in & staying inside a very secure OS. Logic tells me it would be very secure.

Cheers,
    Drew

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Well, I can't see Adobe not responding one way or another. They may even push a cut down reader-only app out to be loaded on by OEM's.

The EU browser choice app was delivered because Microsoft had tied up the market by restrictive practices (the EU judgement, not mine) in delivering a browser bundled in the the OS. Despite the product differentiation, there are similarities to that position with a bundled PDF reader and an after market PDF reader.

I'll take a seat on this one and watch with interest how it develops.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I don't recall seeing details about the built-in PDF reader but Microsoft and Adobe could have struck a deal for the basics of Adobe Reader. That still leaves room for third party programs but allows most people to get by without needing one.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, and it doesn't only apply to the PDF Reader. IE10 (like Chrome) does not need the addition of Flash. I'm pretty sure I read of an arrangement being struck w/ Adobe. Win8 does not need WinRAR or other utility added for zip files. All that needs to be added, now, is, still, Java & a DVD player.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Rather than use Adobe Reader, my choice for Win 8 RP is Foxit Reader. In Win 7 I use PDF-Xchange Viewer, but it has not been updated for Win 8 RP. (I have a pro license for the later which allows me to modify PDF files) If iewer is updated to work with Win 8 RP I will most likely switch to that PDF Reader.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The other .pdf Reader, beside the native one, could be any... the point of the OP didn't really relate to Adobe specifically or whatever other PDF Reader; more it was talking to the attractiveness (or not) of the native reader & the fact that less software has to be added, out of necessity, to Win8 than w/ previous versions of Windows.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Unfortunately the native app did not open every PDF web site I need to access. I would have loved to use this app for everything, but I was unable to. This is the only reason I had to install a separate 3rd party app.

In looking through many of the Win 8 RP native apps, many are very basic. To gain more features on many of these apps I have gone to the 3rd party apps. They just seem more full featured.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-04 at 20:50.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted,

That's why there's variety in life, especially in computing, good to have alternatives available. Also, I was just letting ppl know about it, that it was there & that it is nice , in some ways... not necessarily perfect for everything, all the time. Mostly I was just simply suggesting ppl peruse it... like everything else, just so they know what's available.

I just toss out info. Not any kind of effort to say 'it' (whatever 'it' might be) must be used or used all the time or used for everything. Even the OP says, depending what you're doing or wanting to do w/ a particular .pdf file @ any given moment & that other Readers may well, still, have a place. I've kept Adobe Reader, that I'd put in out of habit, but, may use either, depending...

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    As I stated earlier, the app I use in Win 7 does not work for Win 8 RP. It is my hope that PDF-Xchange Viewer will ultimately work in Win 8 as well because I do have the Pro version. I hate to waste money.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Don't blame you, Ted; wasting $$ sux.

Drew