Thanks

Setting a browser other than IE as default

In Win 8 RP (and Win 8 CP for that matter) it is somewhat more involved to change the default browser from IE to something else such as FF or Chrome.

To change the default browser you have to modify the way you are changing the default browser. Control Panel, Default Programs. Use the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" link. After this populates scroll to the bottom of the list. Under Protocols you have to specify your browser for each of FTP, HTTP and HTTPS:

SetDefaultBrowser.jpg

Now which ever browser you prefer will become the default browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that's quite correct Ted.

I may be wrong, but according to AddictiveTips.com, it's only necessary to change the default browser in Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set Default Programs to have another browser open a page by default. The above link contains an illustrated guide.

If you set File Association the way you've illustrated, you might run into trouble if the download requires an ActiveX control to be installed, the latter of which is only supported in Internet Explorer.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think both are right, depending on circumstance.

I just installed Chrome in Win8 RP and during the install I asked it to set itself as the default browser. Upon completion, Windows 8 opened the file associations options window asking me to set Chrome explicitly as the default. That is to say, it did not set the default silently, but gave me another more detailed and complicated (and potentially dangerous to the inexperienced) process to set another browser as default.

Default browser.JPG

I then uninstalled Chrome, resinstalled it again, this time not asking it to be the default browser. Sure enough, IE remained the default. To set Chrome to default I then needed to goto the control Panel as per Xircal's observation.

/edit
    As I was closing down the open windows, including IE, I had a pop-up dialogue box informing me in very plain and simple terms that I had a new app capable of opening web pages and asking did I want to set Chrome or IE as default. Perhaps it won't be as complicated for inexperienced users as first thought?
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-06-04 at 06:40. Reason: adding new info after seeing pop up choices box
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like MS wants to make it unnecessarily complicated to change browsers just to get IE back in front of the browser popularity stakes again.

Thanks
    Not just browsers, but there are many programs that will install but not automatically TAKE the file associations.

But in Win-8 it's not all that hard to set associations.

At the Metro screen just type "File Associations" which pops up in a search window. Beneath that window just click Files and there will be a little box open up on the left to click on, to set file associations. Scroll down the list of file names to the one you want to set and set it.

I know that sounds complicated, but once you do it you'll see it's really not. I've done it with Firefox, my favorite graphics program, etc.

But the nice thing is, that if you have a file that's just not being opened by your favorite program, you can change it.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    When browsers are installed there a Yes/No question regarding making it the default browser or not. Setting a browser to be default is done, can be done in the browser itself... in its Tools or Options.

Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    When browsers are installed there a Yes/No question regarding making it the default browser or not. Setting a browser to be default is done, can be done in the browser itself... in its Tools or Options.

Drew
    Well, as I understand it Drew, things have changed where Windows 8 is concerned and making that choice in the way you describe doesn't work anymore. See the site I posted in #2 above and you'll understand why.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I had looked @ this the other day & now read the article. Having a panel or window where Default Programs can be controlled is not new. I do, also, see, like the other fellow said, a combo of the 2 (that & the browser query). I had IE & FF. When the question came up for FF, I always said NO. Couple days ago, I dumped FF & grabbed Chrome. Told Chrome "NO" to being my/the default browser. & now, looking @ the Default Programs list Chrome is not there; even rebooted, just in case. Maybe, if, had been YES to Chrome's Do you want... question, Chrome would then be on that list & something there would need to be done.

Ok, thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Just so Drew. If you say Yes to making Chrome the default browser during it's installation, it places a Chrome entry in the Set your default programs list. If you say No to making Chrome the default browser during the installation, there is no Chrome entry in the Set your default programs list. Therefore in the second alternative you would have to use the method I detailed in my initial post, so in essence we were both correct depending on the initial Yes or No response.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Ted, thanks (for confirming). Putting 2 & 2 together that was what I had deduced, too.

And, that means, if, IE is left as the browser (of choice) & one says no to the question in other browsers, then this will be a non-issue or moot point.

Cheers,
    Drew