Thanks

Silverlight updates won't go away

Long ago I uninstalled Silverlight, but I still get updates for it. Obviously something was missed when it was uninstalled, so now how do I get rid of it?

Barbara

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you uninstall Silverlight, they'll be many sites where you won't be able to view content and you might want to think about that before making a firm decision to remove it. For example, Netflix.com requires Silverlight to be installed to watch movies.

If you're determined not to have it in spite of the above, click the "Uninstall" tab for instructions here: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverli...l/Default.aspx

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Long ago I uninstalled Silverlight, but I still get updates for it. Obviously something was missed when it was uninstalled, so now how do I get rid of it?

http://www.ultrafilesearch.com/download.html
    Barbara,
    Hello... When things are "un-installed" they can sometimes leave behind fragments and pieces ( typically Registry entries) a good first start would be to search for the program ...I use this free program called UltraFileSearch when you find any you can delete the "leftovers" right from the program ... Then run CCleaner to scan the registry ....make the optional backup before removing them Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You should be able to "hide" it in WU if you do not want to download and use it.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, hiding the current Silverlight update won't hide future ones so you will have to selecthide for each one.

Jerry

Thanks
    To Xircal: I uninstalled it about a year ago and have not found anything that doesn't work. I am unable to use Netflix anyway because of Hughes.net limits.

To Clint and Jerry: Yes, I have been hiding the updates and they just keep coming in.

Fred, you may be right about a remnant remaining somewhere, so I'll have to go on an 'expedition'.

Barbara

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Revo Uninstaller for some time and find it quite effective.http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Thanks
    Been there, done that. Silverlight IS removed according to the control panel and revo, BUT the updates still roll in from MS.

Barbara

Thanks
    You may also look for Silverlight in your "Installed Updates" and attempt to uninstall it from there as well.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update
    But Silverlight is always going to appear in WU and there will be nothing you can do about it except hide it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    But Silverlight is always going to appear in WU and there will be nothing you can do about it except hide it.
    THAT is the answer I needed! Thanks Clint. In that case I might as well reinstall it, and update as necessary and forget it.

Barbaa

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may think that the same "update" appears over and over again, but it's not.
    I just installed a new system. As I don't need Silverlight (or more precisely the Silverlight plugin for my webbrowsers) I chose to hide the "update" (which is actually not an update as Silverlight is not installed). When I click "Check for updates" again, the same Silverlight "update" seems to appear again, except it's not the same: it has a different ID. After hiding and checking for new updates several times, Silverlight doesn't appear anymore. The next time a new version will be out, it will reappear though. But as Microsoft is not working on Silverlight anymore, there may not be that many new updates.