Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pinning folders and files to the Start menu

I'm trying to pin another folder to my start menu. I've done this before and it worked fine. The instructions from a "Windows Secrets" article makes it appear simple: "To pin a folder or file — or just about anything else — to the Start Menu, navigate to the folder or file and left-click it. Now drag it down to the Start orb. Hover for a moment or two, and the Start menu opens. Keep dragging the file or folder up to the pinned list. Settle on the location you’d like, and drop the file or folder."

This isn't working anymore. Windows wants to "open" the folder with one of the program icons pinned to the start menu, but it never allows me to drop the folder there. I figure that I've changed some setting for the Start Menu that's getting in my way, but I don't know which one. I'm not a newbie, but this is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

WSC

W7 Ultimate

Thanks
    In order to do so you will likely have to allow items to be placed in the start menu by...
    Untitled.jpg

Works for me without any problems, I can place folders or individual files in the start menu area.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great idea, but it didn't help. I had the "Number of recent programs" set at 12 & I even increased it to 16. I didn't have the top box checked, but I checked it and I still can't drop any more folders there. Interestingly I can easily drop a file here. The "Pin to Start Menu" option appears all up the menu when the object I'm dragging is a file. With a folder, that "Pin" message appears when I hover over the start orb and only briefly when the menu appears. It does not appear again. Other ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You do have to drop between items on the pinned or recent sections, not on top of an item while the balloon option says "+ Open with ...".

Bruce

Thanks
    Have a look at this article from the "How-to Geek".

AND

The Windows Start menu super guide — Part I

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yeah. I get that. And, as I noted, I can do that easily with a file. It's really obvious. With a folder, that option/message never appears. I just get the "+ Open with..." It's really weird.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I started this question with a quote from the Windows Secrets article. I used these instructions successfully to put folders on my start menu and now I can't get that same process to work anymore. Woody indicates that I don't need a registry hack. How risky is this edit?

Thanks
    The risk is low since it can be removed easily by means of their offered download.
    Still, one would want to examine the regfile and note it's exact location in the event manual removal is needed.

But more concerning is your sudden inability to put folders in the start menu now, as opposed to your prior capability.
    This appears to be default OS behavior, at least for me, as I didn't need to do anything special in terms of tweaks in order to do this.

What changes have you made to the OS since before the inability to place folders in the start mune started?
    [changes to the OS can also mean any programs you've installed that have expressed intent on altering baseline OS functionality in some form or another**especially shell functionality**]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really haven't added any programs that would alter the OS except the famous M/S patches. I installed a video creation program from Panasonic, but that's probably the only program I've added at all in the past several months. There's no limit to the # of folder in the start menu, is there? I have 5 there now.

Thanks
    So you are able to have folders reside in the start menu, so the question is how many?...is that correct?

Thanks
    OK, I just did a test on my system...
    I dropped 11 folders into the start menu, including one "hard link" folder, and they all work without issue.
    So I don't see any discernable limitation at this point.

You might consider, if you havn't already, doing a "sfc /scannow".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 5 folders on the start menu that I pinned there easily after the article ran in Windows Secrets. It just won't work now. I'll try the sfc /scannow later on. I'm not a newbie and run a tight ship, but I'll see what it gives me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what I would try:
    1. Create a shortcut to the folder(s) you want pinned to the start menu.
    2. Place the shortcut(s) into this folder: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
    3. A link to the folder will now appear in the Start menu.
    4. Drag the link down to the Start Orb.
    5. The link should now be visible above the Jump list.

Personally, I would just put the links on the desktop or in a folder on the desktop.

Video for pinning: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...the-Start-menu

Not sure if there is a limit as to how many can be pinned.
    Last edited by ldb; 2012-06-05 at 15:38.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't need to drag anything anywhere.

To pin a program or a folder to the Windows 7 Start menu or to the Taskbar, all you need to do is to right click it and then choose either option.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To pin a program or a folder to the Windows 7 Start menu or to the Taskbar, all you need to do is to right click it and then choose either option.
    That does not work (option not there) for folders on my machine Wndows 7 HP 64 bit reinstalled 3 days ago. It should work however for a shortcut to the folder.

It should work however for a shortcut to the folder.
    Correction: Works for program created shortcuts, but not for user created ones.
    Last edited by ldb; 2012-06-05 at 16:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast