New Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting Windows 7 and iPad 2

I'm not sure whether Windows 7 is the right place to post this because I haven't a clue what the problem is. I am running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit and I'm trying to connect my IPAD to sync with iTunes.

When I plug in the usb line, I hear the sound the pc normally makes when you connect a device. However, the IPAD is not recognized by iTunes nor does Windows recognize the device as a removable disk (as it does with my camera or Walkman).

To solve the problem, I must uninstall iTunes which means I must also uninstall Bonjour Services, Apple software update, Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Application Support and then re-install all of them. Once that is done, the IPAD and iTunes connect just fine and the sync-ing works as designed. I can then unplug the IPAD and plug it back in as many times as I want or stop and restart iTunes as many times as I want and everything works and connects just fine. But as soon as I shut my PC down and restart it, the PC no longer recognizes the IPAD until I do the whole uninstall/reinstall thing.

Because this is such a pain, I don't often update to new releases of iTunes but I would like to connect the iPAD to iTunes more frequently just so I have a recent backup for the IPAD.

I've tried every combination I can think of including, plugging the IPAD in before powering up the PC but I've found nothing to solve the problem. I've tried contacting Apple support thinking that iTunes was the issue but they were useless. Their response was that this is not happening with all iTunes users so it must be a Windows problem. The fact that the IPAD is not being recognized by Windows at all makes me think that they may be right.

Can anybody suggest how to get around this problem?

(PS service pack 1 cannot be the issue as I had the problem before installing SP1)

PS again: One important item I forgot to mention. When I connect the IPAD to the PC, even when Windows does not recognize the IPAD, the IPAD battery still charges
    Last edited by lewinm; 2012-06-04 at 17:29. Reason: additional information

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you have iTunes installed for Windows 7 and it doesn't come up right away when you connect your iPad, just click on your iTunes icon.
    Then it will open and start to sync as it normally does.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    All I can say is "you are not alone!"

I have had many issues connecting iPhone and iPad to Windows and iTunes. Sometimes the drivers do not install correctly, sometimes rebooting the device works, sometimes rebooting the PC works, sometimes moving the device to a different USB port works. What works one time does not work another. One day one machine is fine the next day it is not and I have to use a different PC. This is the case with my machines and with my clients and with different IOS devices. Google is full of similar tales of woe.

Even if the iPad is successfully connected, opening iTunes will sometimes crash it, or lock it up until I remove the device, whereupon an error message appears about unrecognised device.

I have not been able to pin it down to any specific issue. I can say that both my own machines and and from what I have seen elsewhere, the issues are more prevalent on 64 Bit Windows 7 than 32 Bit Windows 7 or XP, but it's far from diagnostic.

The workaround for me was to install IOS 5.1 which allows over the air updates, sync and backup. I now no longer have to connect the iPad to a PC and the problem does not show itself.

Hope that helps.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks

even stranger

Just when I thought I had tried everything: I was finally resigned to doing my reinstall thing but before doing that, I realized that I had downloaded a book in pdf format that I wanted to load on my IPAD. I went to iTunes to add the file to my books library and iTunes suddenly recognized the IPAD and started sync'ing with it. Not that I have any confidence that somehow solves the problem. Just throwing me a curve to keep me on my toes

Thanks
    Other than iTunes no longer opening after connecting the iPad, (I have to specifically click on the iTunes icon) I've had little other problems with
    it being buggy. But that doesn't say anything about how horrible the software is when it comes to putting music and movies on the thing.

There are 3 services associated:
    Apple Mobile Device(started)
    Bonjour Service(disabled)
    iPod Service(manual)

Look for them in services.

Thanks
    I have an equally weird problem with iTunes and my iPhone 3G. iTunes is up to date, as is the OS on the iPhone, and iTunes recognizes my phone, and will sync with it. But, if I select my phone in iTunes, then click on Apps, even though all of my downloaded apps are visible, they're ghosted and I can do nothing with them.

This hasn't always been the case, but the problem has persisted through the past several updates to iTunes. Apple's tech support has been no help, saying that the problem must lie with my PC, which is running 32-bit Win7 HP SP1.

I have uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it several times, and it seems to make no difference what USB port the cable is plugged into. I have even tried different cables with no success.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Since posting this, I've upgraded my PC to 64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, and now have a New iPad (3), as well. The problem mentioned above with the iPhone also exists with the iPad ... ghosted apps in iTunes.
    Last edited by JSS3rd; 2012-09-11 at 07:54. Reason: Update
    Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Ghosted" Apps in iTunes

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but do you have "Sync Apps" selected? If you do not, then your apps will be disabled (ghosted).

The best resource I know of for Apple help is the Apple Support Communities. You'll find a lot of expert user help there. Here's the link to the one for the iPhone, and links for other devices are available on that page too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem once with Windows XP and a USB transcription device. Users would occasionally startup in the morning and not be able to connect to their foot pedal. I would have to open Device Manager and delete the USB port it was connected to (there would be an error showing I believe?), unplug the USB device, reboot the computer, then plug the USB device back in. The USB would go about discovering the "new equipment" and then it would work again for a while. This may be easier than doing a re & re on your software if it works.

Thanks
    Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but do you have "Sync Apps" selected? If you do not, then your apps will be disabled (ghosted).
    Not a dumb question, at all. Would you believe that I never even noticed that checkbox?
    Jim