Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

forget godaddy, try the new kids on the block!

they plain ol' try harder...
    didn't find them on first page here:
    http://domain-name-registrars.findthebest.com/
    but after many years experience w/ a handful of different domain name registrars now, i am recommending FatCow to everyone who asks.
    for the price & excellent customer service they can't be beat:
    http://www.fatcow.com/
    for first timers walking you through set up, their phone support is priceless!
    you can just get a domain name if that's all you need, or the best deal is hosting package that includes it, so be aware they push the packages.
    good luck!
    Last edited by jefryclair; 2012-06-28 at 23:33. Reason: including link, am deleting second post on same topic, sorry!

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Take a look @ Network Solutions
    Quote Originally Posted by edmcguirk View Post
    The people who follow Cringley seem to like Namecheap.com and dislike Network Solutions and GoDaddy.
    No idea who Cringley is, but Network Solutions is about the only registrar I would warn people to research carefully before giving them anything you care about. I haven't heard of a registrar with a more unethical documented history, and I saw people on forums suffer some real bad stuff with them around a decade ago. Interesting that Verisign dumped them [the registrar portion] only a few years after buying them, and afaik they've been owned by various financial equity companies since.

GoDaddy by comparison is only a naughty teenager, I encountered only one unethical practice during my years with them--and that was withdrawn within a year. If you don't mind their aggressive marketing and poor interface, afaik they're fine as a registrar. Not sure about hosting though, I see plenty of complaints dotted around--but that could merely be a result of their size.

I left GoDaddy for Namecheap and expect to be with them a decade in another few years. They are very good. I can't speak for their hosting, but it's good practice not to buy your domain name at the same place you host your site and email--can't be held hostage by an unethical company.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    <but it's good practice not to buy your domain name at the same place you host your site and email--can't be held hostage by an unethical company>

This doesn't really help, you are hostage to whoever hosts the DNS records. If you can't change the DNS pointers you can't change hosts.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Look @ Dotster.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

Google Apps

Leaning toward GoogleApps at the moment. How's this sound?

Domain registration for $10 per year
    can automatically renew your domain registration in the Google Apps control panel.
    Private domain registration to protect against spam at no extra charge
    hide your personal information from the WHOIS directory by default. This means that Internet users won't be able to search for the mailing address and telephone number associated with your domain name.
    Full DNS control and domain management
    You can manage the DNS settings for your domain and customize any functionality that suits you or your organization.
    Domain locking at no extra charge
    Our partners provide an additional level of security to protect against unauthorized domain transfers.
    Automatically configured to work with Google services
    When you activate a service in your Google Apps control panel, we'll configure your DNS settings for you. For example, you can simply add 'Email' to your list of services and we'll set up your MX records to properly send and deliver mail for your domain.
    Email, calendar, instant messaging, web pages and more at no extra charge
    It's all at no additional cost! Our list of services continues to grow. You and your users will be able to communicate and share information with many Google services.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I use GoDaddy for that sort of thing. They are cheap and provide free email and hosting with the registration, but the purchase process is long and convoluted, designed to make you spend more money. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and select the "no thanks" or whatever it's called today button to skip the additional items.

cheers, Paul
    Dont use GoDaddy. If you subscribe to anything important, you may not get it. I was getting jobs from the local government owned lottery agency and one day I stopped getting anything at all. After a few days I rang them and they were annoyed I hadnt responded and HAD sent jobs to me. So I got them to send another while I waited on the phone. Nothing. I checked all my own filter settings on my domain and nothing was wrong. I had even whitelisted them.

I rang GoDaddy and guess what? They RESERVE THE RIGHT to filter SPAM out before it gets to YOUR filters YOU had set up. I asked them to stop doing that and allow it all to come through but they wouldnt and said that spam filtering is THEIR right. I pointed out that they are costing me money and their response was to get all the mail server names I think I need to get email from that company and any other company I may deal with in the future and tell them so they can whitelist it. HUH!?!? My response was to change to Hostgator and the mail started flowing through again and I never had that problem reoccur.

GoDaddy cost me income from lost jobs with their idea that they will do what they want regardless of what you want or what is happening to you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefryclair View Post
    Dont know why you would bother. Just set yourself up as a reseller with your domain registrar you like the best then go set up your own domain names and even those of friends and add a few bucks to the top of it for yourself for the convenience you provide. That is what a lot of web designers do. I register domains, host domains and do the site as well as all the I.T. work and it all ends up making you a few bucks here and there. That is why you would register yourself as a reseller.

Lounger
    Thanks

1 and 1

I recommend 1and1.com. They offer both registration and hosting. Their interface/control panel is much cleaner and simpler than godaddy (which I have to use for a company web site).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word of advice

It may cost a bit more, but never ever, have your domain name and hosting with the same place.&nbsp; I leearned that the hard way when I couldn't move my domain to a new host for weeks as it was held hostage by the host.<br><br>Martha

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejanus View Post
    I recommend 1and1.com. They offer both registration and hosting.....
    I recommend this company too. 1&1 is based here in Germany, and one of the main players in the providers game. I have ALL of my ISP stuff with them, as well as telephone and cell service.

Since many years, I have registered a Domain with them (I dont use it for a website, as there is no need at the moment) which includes flawless e-mail-service including this domain. Additional, I can access the web-mailer from any PC with internet connection via a regular browser.

A good price for the plan (flatrate for DSL, flatrate for nationwide telephone, free cell service into the 1&1 mobile net and the german telephone net) and superb support with long hours have intrigued me and recommendet it to many friends here too.

I did not know they were offering their services in the US too, but this might be one of the reasons why they are so competitiv.

Have a nice Weekend

••K®IS••
    Last edited by AlpineKris; 2012-07-13 at 08:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used whois.com for domain names. They are cheap and fairly easy to use. For hosting I use Startlogic. I have also used 1and1 for both

Thanks
    There's lot from which to chose...

Just stay away from Dotster! I have had the ugly experience of discovering just how bad they really are. And take my word for it, it's BAD!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    There's lot from which to chose...

Just stay away from Dotster! I have had the ugly experience of discovering just how bad they really are. And take my word for it, it's BAD!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg
    I've been pleased with Dotster so far. The only problem I've had with them is that when you call for service, it may take a while to actually speak with someone. But when you finally get an agent on the phone, they give you their full and complete attention.

I'd be interested in knowing what was your bad experience with Dotster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast