New Lounger
    Thanks

Library confusion

Moving to a new computer, I find myself perplexed at folder and library behavior, specifically, the difference that should exist between the My Documents folder and the Documents library.

I find that if I add a file or folder to the My Documents folder, it automatically shows up also in the Documents library. However, when I delete it from the library, it also disappears from the My Documents folder. I have tried deleting (which sends it to the Recycle Bin) and dragging to the desktop. In the case of the folder example, removing the folder from the locations from which the library gathers, leaves the folder in the Library anyway.

My understanding is that a file or folder can be added to a library, but when deleted from the library, it should remain in its actual location. The libraries are, in effect, places where links or shortcuts to actual documents and folders, and only these, may be placed. Unfortunately the inaccuracy of this came to me the hard way, as I deleted video files that were too large for the recycle bin. Despite a file retriever application, I could not retrieve them. (Fortunately, I have the original footage on tape, but the editing is now lost.)

In order ot simply my file structure, I have been moving most of my pictures out of the My Documents folder to the Pictures library. Is there some other folder where they actually reside?

What am I missing here, please?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    A folder may be removed from a library by right clicking on the folder and selecting "Remove Location from Library" and will still remain in its actual location. Remove is only available for folders which were added to a Library not for sub-folders in a hierarchy beneath the original folder that was added.

If you DELETE a file or folder that is in a Library it is still deleted.

Joe

Thanks
    A library is a receptacle of pointers to the actual folders and files located around Win 7, not just in My Documents. A Google search for Win 7 Libraries has tons of explanations of Libraries. It's interesting reading. Some people like and use Libraries, some don't like the extra layer of complexity.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Only folders can really be added to a library, by including them in that library's search listing. Each library has a particular folder specified as a default "save location" (which can easily be changed), so when you add a file to a library you're really adding it to that library's default "save location" folder.

Windows 7's Help and Support has a good explanation including FAQs at "Working with libraries".

And Microsoft's "Finding your files" video is mainly an explanation of how libraries can be useful.

I don't get why some people don't like libraries; they're easy to ignore until you need them.

Bruce

Thanks
    As I have stated elsewhere, I have absolutely no use for Libraries, and certainly no need. I don't use them, and using the registry I have removed them from Windows Explorer (Office apps still try to use them, but I ignore the Office penchant, and use my own tried and true organizational system).

All my files, folders, etc. are exactly where I want and expect them to be, and that's how I like it.

--- I found and deleted the final registry key that was allowing Office 2010 to keep trying to "save" in a Library. Now when I click "Save as" Office opens my personally chosen default location. I'm a happier camper; now my applications also ignore those useless Libraries.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-06-24 at 12:04. Reason: new information
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. I have now re-read some Windows help and other explanations adn have it straight. In fact, I have written out annotated instructions for family members and ofice colleagues who might make the same mistake as I. I included my discovery that a subfolder can be dragged to the desktop and then added to a libary, so that it can be removed from the library -- as long as one then puts the Desktop copy back in the folder's original location,from whihc it will now have disappeared.

The only thing I remian unclear about, is my final question, namely, in what folder do the pictures I cut from My Documents and pasted directly into the Pictures library actually now reside?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulodesk View Post
    The only thing I remain unclear about, is my final question, namely, in what folder do the pictures I cut from My Documents and pasted directly into the Pictures library actually now reside?
    If you right-click Pictures in Libraries and view its properties, you see a check mark against its default save location; that's where they went.

The other way to get at the same info is to go into the Pictures library and click Includes X locations under the title.

You can change the default save location if necessary from either of those places.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-06-12 at 13:00.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For those among us who have Microsoft Reader installed, there is a Microsoft Reader default folder named ‘Library’, and Microsoft Reader has been around for many years longer than the Microsoft system of ‘libraries’. I’m not sure of the default location, but the default name of the folder is ‘Library’. The file extension for the books in that folder is *.lit (as in ‘literature’), and it appears that Calibre can convert that format. (I haven’t tried).

Microsoft declared it dead, but it is still available online. It’s free and always has been, and if you install it, you’ll discover new fonts in your system (Berling Antiqua and Frutiger). Microsoft used it to sell books in that format, so it is reasonable to expect they must continue to support it, or provide converted books ‘or something’. Maybe they’ll add a more flexible version now that readers are wildly popular, or add an improved version to Windows 8 with a handful of books to get you started, hint hint.

There is also a (free) Word 2002 and 2003 add-in, Read in Microsoft Reader, that will allow you to publish in *.lit format.

There is a file-to-voice reader that is guaranteed to ruin any literary work. If you want bad writing to sound worse than it already is, let this thing read it for you.

One online source of free books in *.lit format is The University of Virginia Library Electronic Text Center.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-06-14 at 14:31. Reason: Updated links

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wholeheartedly agree with the post by bbearren. I have a filing system I've used for years and years, I know exactly where to find documentsgoing back to Windows 3. Why would I, or anyone else, change because someone in Microsoft "invents" a library? "If it ain't broke don't fix it," is my creed. In fact I'd very much like to get rid of everything that starts with "My." My Documents, My Pictures, My Video, My Music. Does anyone know how to eradicate these pesky folders, forever?

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Library Confusion

I can see that the concept of the Library may be useful in theory - collecting together links from a variety of folders and data sources in a single logical (albeit virtual) place. For me, though, the failure and annoyance is in the execution. I have a NAS box, on which 'My Documents' are stored. Unless I'm misunderstanding something key, if I try to add this into the Documents library on my machine, the process fails because the folder isn't indexed. If I then try to index the folder, Windows appears to insist on making it available offline, (i.e. cacheing the contents on my hard drive) - thus completely undermining the advantage of having a NAS. Offline data files are fine for laptops, which may not always be connected to your network resources. To impose this overhead on a desktop PC in order to conform to the Libraries standard strikes me as flawed logic. I found a tool some time ago that allowed the addition of folders to a library without the overhead of making them available offline, but I'm struggling, now, to remember where or what it's called.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found it! 'Win7 Library Tool', currenmtly at v 1.09. Does exactly what I want it to.http://www.downloadplex.com/Windows/...ol_333683.html
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTetch View Post
    Found it! 'Win7 Library Tool', currenmtly at v 1.09. Does exactly what I want it to.http://www.downloadplex.com/Windows/...ol_333683.html
    Download sites for recent versions of that don't work because the publisher's site seems to have disappeared.

Bruce