New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup to External Hard Drive using Router USB Interface

Subject: Windows Backup
    I have recently bought an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router to replace my D-Link DIR-825 router. D-Link has a utility called SharePort which allowed me to connect a backup device via the USB port. The ASUS Router has the same USB port but no utility to allow backup. I have mapped the backup folders on the external drive and can access them in Windows Explorer but Windows Backup does not see them. By the way, Quicken will successfully backup to a folder on the external drive.

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Professional. I have 8 Gigs memory and the disk is only 30% full. How do I backup?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Subject: Windows Backup

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Professional. I have 8 Gigs memory and the disk is only 30% full. How do I backup?
    "BB",
    Hello.... Open ....Administrator Tools>Computer Management> Disk Manager ...Look to see if you can find your External HD ... It may need to have a drive letter assigned to it Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    B.B & Fred,

If I remember correctly Windows 7 Home Premium backup utility does NOT support Networked drives.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

mart44
    I have no experience of using Windows Back-up this way but does the third feature up from the bottom of the chart linked to below mean that this should work in the Professional edition?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    B.B & Fred,

If I remember correctly Windows 7 Home Premium backup utility does NOT support Networked drives.
    Spot on RG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    I have no experience of using Windows Back-up this way but does the third feature up from the bottom of the chart linked to below mean that this should work in the Professional edition?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare
    Yes.

EDIT: Oops, should have used multi-quote, Mods please feel free to merge

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does windows backup actually see the USB network drive? Is it only the folders it does not see?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Home Premium Backup and restore application does not see the USB drive. In Windows Explorer, the USB drive can be found in the Network folder. All sub folders are accessible. It appears that Windows 7 Home Premium backup utility does NOT support Networked drives as posted by RetiredGeek.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    I believe this is reserved for Win 7 Pro.

Zig

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    My operating system is Windows 7 Home Professional.
    That would be Home Premium then.