Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why MS is dropping DVD-video playback in Win8

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Why MS is dropping DVD-video playback in Win8

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft has announced that Windows 8 won't support DVD-video playback unless you pay extra for Windows Media Center.

Consumers will be displeased, but Microsoft has dropped DVD support for some good reasons and there are good workarounds if you know the secrets.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/why-ms-is-dropping-dvd-video-playback-in-win8/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Thanks, Woody for pulling together the current information about Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. And the ongoing issue of DVD and Blu-Ray playback. The link about VLC Player and how it gets away with free inclusion of the DVD playback codecs (they vary by International Region) is also very instructive. Maybe now all of us at the Lounge can get back to other business and not have to hold lengthy discussions about this topic.

Let us know when pricing info for the Pro Pack or WMC Upgrade become available from reliable sources.

Still, free (VLC Player) beats paid add-ons (WMC) any day in my world. Even if the VLC interface is a bit sparse on features.

I'll also be watching to see how my own laptop's manufacture, Toshiba, handles this issue for those of us who may wish to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro in the future.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player vs. Windows Media Center

When you mentioned WMP vs WMC in the article, it reminded me of an odd difference. I'm using Win7ult on my laptop & noticed that DVD video playback is significantly better in WMC. Any idea why this would be so if they both are licensing the same codec?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC is good, but I also use the free UMPlayer which has over 270 built in codecs. Thanks for your info Woody.

Thanks
    For the few times I actually play DVD's on my PC, the free VLC alternative will be fine. Another alternative would be to keep a dual boot scenario and use the 2nd OS for this chore. Seems to me to be a waste of space, but for some it might be just the ticket.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like we should be ok if we have another multi-media suite like Nero or others that support DVD playback. Am I wrong with that idea?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HmS-PA View Post
    Seems like we should be ok if we have another multi-media suite like Nero or others that support DVD playback. Am I wrong with that idea?
    I prefer free software, as long as it gets the job done. And we are talking about programs which might stand a chance of being offered as Metro Apps. There, I doubt that Nero will bother.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-01 at 11:29.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    And we are talking about programs which might stand a chance of being offered as Metro Apps.
    "Metro" didn't appear in the article. Is VLC media player a Metro app?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose I am late with a comment but whatever. Though I have been a member for years to the Lounge and even longer to WS and though I read the articles sent to my paid subscription I simply have not felt the need to comment; there usually appears to be more than enough and too, my computers and Windows system are simply not the center of my universe. However, I found this particular article interesting and since I did not read where anyone mentioned it, I will at this time. On this subject I first would like to verify if Windows Media Player will still be offered with WIN 8 but simply without the DVD playback as mentioned. If this be the case then I do not understand why one particularly needs an additional player to get DVD playback, one simply needs the codecs. I personally have been using the K-Lite Codec Pack for years and it supplies and installs all the codecs one would probably ever need; once installed WMP then plays DVD format as well as all of the other formats I have ever encountered. I recently had to do a re-install on one of my Panasonic CF-29 laptops running XP PRO SP3; when I went to play a DVD it would not, stating I had no DVD playback software installed. I simply installed the K-Lite Pack (which is FREE) and as always through the years I now have DVD play capability using WMP. I have done the same thing in the past with my systems running Vista Bus. or WIN 7; it has never failed me to date. I like the WMP due to the fact that unlike some of the other players I have such as WINDVD and Cyberlink Power DVD you can shrink or resize the player to a very small player and place it over to the side while you perform other tasks. I do not think it would not work under WIN 8 unless MS is modifying their WMP to stop that functionality. I may be wrong but I am sure someone will correct me if this is in fact the situation.
    In conclusion, I found this to be a very worthy piece of info and thank you Woody and WS for the heads up, as always yall' do a superb job of keeping us informed.

Gary
    Last edited by yargnodrog; 2012-06-23 at 07:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope I was not too late with my above comment and that it was not too lengthy; more so I hope my recommendation for the K-Lite Codec Pack is useful to some. I would not recommend anything I have not or do not use myself; and while I am not a WIN GURU or have 10,000 posts to my credit, I do build and maintain ALL of my desktops myself with great success; the only reason I have not built a laptop is it simply would not be cost effective, not to mention putting together the hardware to build it with. I suppose my biggest claim to fame or possible smarts though it has not served me much in the past 30 years, is that I did manage to make it through the US Navy Submarine Guided Missile School 40 years ago with a slide rule. Anybody remember those? OOO-RAA
    But seriously folks, I feel the addition of a codec pack such as the K-Lite Pack or one of the others of which I am sure there are free out there is a much better choice of going dual boot or whatever as suggested by one member. I am not attempting to be rude or facetious, but that suggestion was just a joke, right? I also don't feel an additional player is needed as I stated.
    Last edited by yargnodrog; 2012-06-23 at 07:55.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    "Metro" didn't appear in the article. Is VLC media player a Metro app?

Bruce
    Not yet. I am just daydreaming about that possibility at this time, but I think it will happen.

@ yargnodrog -- BTW, unless you've paid for the specific code for commercial DVD playback, nothing I know of can give Windows Media Player the ability to play back those DVDs without someone paying for the codec. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Update: I just tried to install CDBurnerXP into Windows8 RP and could not get it to recognize the CD/DVD drive on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Windows itself is just fine with the drive. The CDBurnerXP Forum has fielded several complaints about this lack of hardware support, and their advice is anywhere from scoffing at Windows 8 altogether to offering Nero Burning Rights which does not include a working burning driver.

So I looked around, found that ImgBurn does not have an opt-out for OpenCandy Adware, and then found the free edition of StarBurn. (The Japanese Version -- all interface words are in English -- seems to have an extra "Emulator" included.) The Company seems to make their money by offering paid upgrades for video enthusiasts who want or need extra features. The free version is perfectly adequate, installs cleanly, and carries with it its own driver package for burning and other features of the software. Since this is a self-contained package, it does not depend upon Windows or other Third Parties to give it access to my CD/DVD drive. If anyone knows why this program should not be used, please post, but until then, I am "sold" on the free edition for Windows 8.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-01 at 11:43. Reason: New experience with CD/DVD Burners in Windows 8
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @bobprimak--- I don't profess to know all of the in-and-outs concerning the legal issues of the ability to play DVD format on a PC; however, all I know is that once I install the codec packages supplied with the program I am then able to play DVD format content using the stock WMP on my system. I would think maybe it is something along the lines of what was explained concerning the VLC player and the country of origin and that countries view and or laws pertaining to such matters, though I may be incorrect. So if I missed something, so be it, the bottom line is it works. I do apologize for the fact that I failed to mention that the K-Lite Codec Pack does in fact include its own media
    player and refers to it as Media Player Classic; it is a fully functional player just as the VLC player is and plays all of the formats I have ever encountered. I truly am not going to worry that much about whether WIN 8 does or does not come stock with DVD capability in WMP as it will be highly unlikely that I will build a system using WIN 8 any way. As I see it for one to fully get what MS wishes the WINDOWS experience to transform into and be, one must invest in a touch screen monitor for a desktop system; I simply do not have that itch at present. Though I do own a couple of the Panasonic CF-29 models with touch screens and they are capable of upgrading to WIN 7 and probably WIN 8 as well, I have no desire to do so. I am fully comfortable with my mouse and keyboards on all of my systems including the couple of IBM Dual Core laptops I own. I mentioned the bottom line; I suppose the real bottom line is up to the individual and what they are looking for in a system. For me personally, I feel that were I to invest in a Desktop system with a touch screen monitor and an install of WIN 8 Pro I would wish to transfer most or all of my videos (DVD Movie content) and editing to that system. While I use a couple of free programs I have a Nero package installed on my Vista Business Compaq desktop system where I do most of my recording to DVD with my movies. I don’t feel the cost of a new Nero package is too much of an investment for a new system such as that and that being the case I would then gain the DVD playback with Nero supplying the codec needed with a portion of my purchase price paying the bill, or perhaps I again have missed something. In any event, good wishes to all with what ever it is they decide is best for them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yargnodrog For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-07-06)

Thanks
    As recently announce, Win 8 Pro will include Media Center at no additional cost, so DVD playback will be included in Win 8 Pro. In addition, from release date (unknown at this time) until Jan 31st, 2013 Win 8 Pro will be available for download for $39.99 USD. I do not know if Media Center includes DVD recording features or simply playback capabilities.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I believe the free Media Center offer only holds for the initial $39 promotion that expires in January of next year. Microsoft hasn't released pricing details after the promotion ends.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    As recently announce, Win 8 Pro will include Media Center at no additional cost, so DVD playback will be included in Win 8 Pro. In addition, from release date (unknown at this time) until Jan 31st, 2013 Win 8 Pro will be available for download for $39.99 USD. I do not know if Media Center includes DVD recording features or simply playback capabilities.
    No, Ted, Media Center does NOT include the required codecs to play back commercial DVDs. No matter whether you pay for it or not. The Upgrade Advisor will still report that users need to supply their own players or codecs for this.

Jerry, your information is exactly correct.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast